Down the overflow

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
I am still trying to figure out how to feed my fish without the majority of food going down the overflow. When I drop in a frozen cube of brine shrimp or toss in some flakes of food, the fish get a little of it eaten and then the current takes it to the overflow where the rest of it gets sucked in. Most of the current is coming from my sump return and its aimed slightly upward toward the top of the water to give my tank surface agitation. If I move the return down any I will loose that surface movement. Any suggestions?

FYI....Overflow is in left side of tank(HOB) and return line is coming in on right side of tank, pointing at about 45 degrees towards the left of the tank, slightly upward.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I always thaw the cubes in water before I put them in the tank. Perhaps it takes too long to thaw and the fish can't get to it.

I've always used pellets, but if the flakes are floating, try soaking them in water before adding to the tank.

If you've only got a tang and two clowns, I'd say a whole cube is too much. Try a third or a half of a cube.

My fish must be super-efficient, because nothing ever gets to the other end of the tank when I feed them.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
they have those rings that you can put the food in so that it doesn't get caught up and dispersed in the current.... Petco has them. Or just turn off your pump....

tuck

Small Fish
Aug 5, 2009
longford, ireland
i leave mine to thaw for a while in a shot glass then mix it with a small bit of tank water before adding the food to the tank. it flows all around the tank with none going down the overflow..
it works well for me,

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i either thaw it in a cup of tank water first or stick the cube on to one of my powerheads where it sucks in and gets blown around the tank...i also turn off the return pump which stops everything from being sucked into the sump ;) ive got all the pumps plugged into a dj power strip so its just the flip of a switch rather than having to figure what plug and all that crap!
HTH!

Feb 13, 2006
Massachusetts
they have those rings that you can put the food in so that it doesn't get caught up and dispersed in the current.... Petco has them. Or just turn off your pump....
That's what I was going to say.. I have one, and i love it.. The food stays in the ring and falls pretty much below it when it gets waterlogged, making vacuuming easy and keeping food from getting sucked into the filter..

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I am with tre....turn off the return for 5 minutes this will also give any corals time to eat also. I usually thaw it in a cup of tank water and then use a baster to direct the food where I want it to go.