How do I teach otos to eat zuchini?

dt007

Small Fish
Jul 21, 2009
I've tried weighing them down onto the gravel twice, and let one float on the surface, but the otos just won't touch it. I don't think they know its food they can eat. Is there any way I can teach them to eat it? I don't think they are getting enough food as there isn't enough algae in the tank, and I don't think I want to try out algae pellets just yet. I heard otos actually love zuchini, so I'd like to let mine eat some.

Feb 27, 2009
I've tried weighing them down onto the gravel twice, and let one float on the surface, but the otos just won't touch it. I don't think they know its food they can eat. Is there any way I can teach them to eat it? I don't think they are getting enough food as there isn't enough algae in the tank, and I don't think I want to try out algae pellets just yet. I heard otos actually love zuchini, so I'd like to let mine eat some.
Mine like zuchini and cucumbers. I take the skin off, cut it into chunks, and freeze it in a ziplock baggie. Every so often, maybe every 2 weeks or so, I'll toss one in the tank, always the same spot. Sometimes they eat it, sometimes they don't.

Do your otos have a round belly? If so, they are getting enough food and actually prefer to eat the slime that encourages algae growth, so it may seem that they are just sucking on the glass or deco items and getting nothnig to us. If they get hungry, they will try it. :)

dt007

Small Fish
Jul 21, 2009
Do your otos have a round belly? If so, they are getting enough food and actually prefer to eat the slime that encourages algae growth, so it may seem that they are just sucking on the glass or deco items and getting nothnig to us. If they get hungry, they will try it. :)
They seem to have round bellies, but I'm not sure. Maybe they are actually getting enough to eat because sometimes they seemed so intent on sucking the glass they don't react when i poke the glass, which they usually did in the first week I had them. Still, I think I'll leave the zuchini there anyway to make sure they get enough. I should probably take it out after a few days though right? In case it rots or something and makes them sick.

Thanks for the answers by the way. They really helped and I was worrying if they'd die of starvation but I guess not :p

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Yes of course, after a day or so take it out and replace.
Poking them through the glass is kinda mean and stressful. Thats like someone smacking your head with a frying pan. I know, cuz i used to poke the tank all the time >_<
Please be respectful to the fish.