First salt water tank + Lionfish

Oct 21, 2009
Hi, I'm new here.*celebrate

So I am thinking about getting a 30g-40g tank and a Dwarf Zebra Lionfish. my question is to those who have a Lionfish in there tank, what are good tank mates? I want to get 3 or 4 more fish to room with the Lionfish. I have read that they eat anything they can fit in there mouth (and I don't know how big there mouths get), and this tank size is probably not good for more big-ish fish.....so I'm kind of lost as to what would be good tank mates.

do I need rocks for the lionfish or are plants good enough? (I know they need there hiding spots) if I do not make it a reef tank at all (which might be the best idea given the tank size) do I need a power head?

I haven't had a fish tank in a few years and I have wanted a Lionfish for at least 4-5 years. I'm on a budget for now might have to buy the tank and lionfish then add on unless I can get some $5ish fish to go along with the lionfish.

thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
well you should save up the money you will need to set your tank up completely BEFORE you add any fish. Any $5 fish will no doubt become a meal for the lionfish. Lionfish are messy eaters and any tank containing them needs to be set up to address this issue. Live rock along with a good protein skimmer are important as are powerheads. The powerheads create the surface agitation necessary to provide good oxygen exchange at the surface unlike a freshwater where you have a bubbler

Oct 21, 2009
so bubblers do not work in salt water tanks? (something in my head is saying it might cause foam at the top)

I might jump on a deal I found for a 55g tank, just need to make sure it will fit.

what power head would you guys suggest for this size tank? (budget minded that is)

I found a guy locally that has fully cured live rock for a good price, so If get a tank I will most likely get some of that. about how much (lbs) would I need?

Oct 23, 2009
Alabama SEC
Well, I'm new here as well, and I'm just starting to assemble the pieces together for a Fish Only. I'm still trying to determine what the operating costs differences will be if I splurge on a 125 gallon tank or just setup my current 55 gallon.
I will not be over-stocking the tank and will take my time getting the feel for salty environments. Over Time, I will move to Live-Rock (FOWLR), but for now I'm just gonna use a cannister, HOT w/BioWheels and a power-head for agitation and a reasonable skimmer. No Reef setups anticipated due to operating cost, being on fixed incomes around here....

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2009
Alabama SEC
HomeBody, what types of fish are you planing for you fish only tank?
I thought I'd have relative success by under-stocking...
A pair of Ocellaris Clownfish, Tank Bred at the top of my wish list.
One or Two Heniochus Brown Butterflyfish
maybe a cleaner shrimp (if safe and compatible w/above specimen)
maybe a cleaner wrasse of some sort-
perhaps a pair of 3 or 4 striped Damsels-
That would be IMHO about max stocking for a 55 gal and the basic filteration I intend on starting out with. I'm good w/monitoring nitrates and whatnot. Water changes don't discourage me.

My main LFS will be Foster's and Smith's online. There's not alot of Salt support within any reasonable radius of my hometown.

I'm still very torn between a 125 gallon I saw at a PetSmart (Tank only w/hood)...$379.00 floor model w/no box. I've thought about making them an out-the-door offer. It would be a 3 hour drive there and back...still figuring the added operating expense. I'd have to build the stand and the extra bleh bleh coming with a new setup. But all of the advantages of the extra tank size stays on the forefront of my mind.

2nd option was to just pick up another 55 gal kit from Walmart in Northport, AL.....then I'm just staring at yet another 55 gal grumbling that I should have bought a bigger tank. I priced tempered glass on a DIY idea that that added up to a no-go.

3rd option would be to purchase the 2nd 55 gal and set both tanks up end to end.....

4th option is to just tear down my very boring freshwater 55 gal...(7 tiger barbs, 3 elegant cories, a pair of convicts, one brim....*twirlysmi)

Not Trying to steal the thread, Prozium!! My apologies-

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
my advice to the two of you...new to the hobby is to read the stickies at the top of the forum.

Save your money and go with live rock at about 1-2 lbs per gallon. This is the main filtration of your tank. Add a good protein skimmer and a few good powerheads such as Hydor Korallias or Maxijets and you should be good. Any of these items missing or underrated for your tank size, then be prepared to do major frequent water changes to reduce nitrates and phosphates. If not then you can end up with an algae nightmare.

Forget the canisters and biowheels they are adequate for freshwater but turn into nitrate factories in saltwater. Nitrates feed algaes....

bubblers in saltwater create saltcreep which is a pain.....salt doesn't evaporate just the water holding the salt does....leaving a crystalline mess behind

Oct 23, 2009
Alabama SEC
Ok-
How much Live-Rock is typically required XXX gallons of under-stocked salt-water?
Doesn't Live-Rock require a certain lighting requirement? And then there's all the Live-Rock supplements to consider..is this correct?

Obviously, the operating costs stays at the forefront here...
- Anticipating the mature growth of the occupants and what their feeding costs will run...
- Average Lighting Costs p/m...
- Costs of Salts p/m...

Somewhere here I discovered a contributor's efforts on an 'Algae Screen' that seemed
plausible, and I haven't taken the time to gleem through the postings yet this am- I was curious to determine what the operating cost of this screen was over a year's time....

Being on fixed income is a hobby in and of itself. The creative juices must always be running on full. The Foster & Smith Aquarium Builder I found didn't hinder my lust for salt water, either. The FOWLER link takes the hobbyist straight to a clear list of needed components, although the Live-Rock part is clearly missing a re-direct over the the 'Live-Aquaria' sub-server of Foster-Smith.

Thank You For Your Replies-Ed

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2009
well, I'm diving in to SW tanks...*twirlysmi

Today I scored a 29g nano tank with stand just needs a new lite bulb for $50 (most likely going to be a nano reef for my 5 year old nephew with some clown fish and what not), also i sent an e-mail off tonight about buying a 55g already established reef tank i might buy tomorrow!!(or when ever they get back to me) AND I am going to buy a 40g tank from someone in this next week for my Lionfish...*thumbsups

I think I caught the saltwater bug bad*SICK*

also I am torn between the Antennata Lionfish & Dwarf Zebra Lionfish...any thoughts what one wold be better?

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2009
Alabama SEC
well, I'm diving in to SW tanks...also I am torn between the Antennata Lionfish & Dwarf Zebra Lionfish...any thoughts what one wold be better?
Personally, I'd go w/the Dwarf species....and for many reasons IMHO.
1-The bigger the fish, the bigger the diet....hence $$$
2-The bigger the fish, the bigger the tank...hence $$$
3-The bigger the fish, the bigger the waste...hence Time and $$$

I've always held a firm position that any aquarium be stocked with the appropriate fish size. IE-using a 40 or 55 to keep an 8"-10" is more of a caged animal. There's simply isn't any 'wiggle' room for large fish in small tanks. Any and all fish do much better if they have 'running room' so to speak.
When you figure decorating your 40 or 55, water displacement is often overlooked. The average hobbyist wants eye appeal, and the more the tank is decorated w/items, the more crowded the realistic wiggle room or running room becomes.:mad: And there's nothing worse than watching a startled fish suddenly make a mad dash- only to run some insane obstacle course banging into all kinds of decor. Most hobbyists don't concern themselves with the total psyche of the fish. In my years, the 'Less Is More" approach offered more benefits than otherwise.
-Easier on the fish*thumbsup2....running room provided w/hideouts.
-Easier on the fish keeper*thumbsups....easy maintenance of the substrate, glass and inventory of occupants.

*SLEEPING*Fish Keeping shouldn't be a daily chore. And these choirs are minimized on larger, understocked tanks...especially in SW environments...as I'm sure all the readers here are rehearsed in.

From any and every angle. Operating costs, Maintenance Time and Costs, Feeding & Cleanup Times and Costs, Leisure Time...Just my 2cents.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
well said. Live rock as filtration consumes a lot of swimming space and fish in a 45-55 gallon should be smaller to ensure good swimming room especially for some species like tangs etc that need linear room as opposed to clowns who sort of hang out...