Help - Nitrites have peaked yet ammonia has not started to drop

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
Hey,
I've had a 75 gallon tank cycling for about three weeks now with 5 tiger barbs in it. The ammonia levels peaked as usual within 2-3 days after adding the fish and sure enough within a week of ammonia peak, nitrites slowly began to rise, so I was thinking all is going as it should be. However the nitrites have been at very high levels for nearly 10 days now, which I know can last for many weeks, but - I thought that as the nitrites begin to rise the ammonia should begin to drop...and should be at 0ppm within days of nitrite peak. Anyone have any input?

Oh and also will adding used filter media or gravel from an established tank, at this point of the cycling process, help to speed the process?
Thanks for any replies.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
It will speed it up. eventually the ammonia should go down. any visible rotting stuff in your tank? if so thats the source of the never-ending ammonia. you can wait until it drops. a couple more weeks should do it. then the nitrites might take a while.

Oct 22, 2009
Marysville, Ohio
It will speed it up. eventually the ammonia should go down. any visible rotting stuff in your tank? if so thats the source of the never-ending ammonia. you can wait until it drops. a couple more weeks should do it. then the nitrites might take a while.
+1

and i would also like to add, ammonia and nitrItes will both be higher during the start to the mid of the cycle, it is a transition just be patient dont add crazy chems and keep up with w/c's.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
There is also a chance that the dechlorinator or something you have in the tank is giving you a false positive on your ammonia test kit.

I wouldn't worry too much if the cycle is continuing to progress...but if you don't start seeing nitrates soon and a drop in nitrites then I would do a water change. (unless you've been doing water changes all along, in which case I'm not entirely sure what's going on)

Rotting things in the tank won't cause the ammonia level to stay high, it might cause a pesky .25ppm of nitrites to linger...but once the bacteria are colonized they will take care of any ammonia in the tank...as your fish are a never ending source of ammonia :)

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
Thanks for your input guys. I think i'll just try and wait it out, i've never needed to invest in a nitrate test kit because ammonia and nitrite kits have always been enough to get me through a cycle but I think this is just gonna be one of those drawn out, painful cycle's that doesn't go by the norm, so i'll have to monitor it. Thanks again.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
you might want to get a nitrate test as well...nitrates arent just there as a sign for a finished cycle. You should test them every week to see if theyre within the safe levels. If you overfeed, you might get more levels of nitrates than you need. I think a smaller tank would be most at risk from high nitrates. also it would tell you how frequesntly to change your water and how much, to keep the nitrate low.

And if you keep a planted tank, you should know the nitrate levels in your tank, to make sure they dont get too low.

Oct 22, 2009
Marysville, Ohio
you might want to get a nitrate test as well...nitrates arent just there as a sign for a finished cycle. You should test them every week to see if theyre within the safe levels. If you overfeed, you might get more levels of nitrates than you need. I think a smaller tank would be most at risk from high nitrates. also it would tell you how frequesntly to change your water and how much, to keep the nitrate low.

And if you keep a planted tank, you should know the nitrate levels in your tank, to make sure they dont get too low.
most generally nitrAtes arent toxic to fish unless they are in the 400-500 ppm range.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Good gravy, how long would a tank have to be let go to get 400-500 nitrates? and wouldn't it smell?!

Nitrate toxicity levels reportedly vary according to species, as well as to how accustomed to high nitrates the fish have become.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Well I cant see that all is well with that tank...

Cuz i have to register in order to see it :p

Maybe he confused the readings with something else...maybe it was GH not Nitrates?

Feb 27, 2009
In the two planted tanks I've had (granted, not a lot of experience) I had trouble keeping nitrates up to 10, even with a heavier stocking level.
Agreed. I've been keeping planted tanks for almost 20 years, and I have to ADD a source of nitrogen on some tanks to keep nitrogen at 5ppm or higher(under that and Cyanobacteria - aka Blue-Green Algae (BGA)) gets a foothhold).

I'm curious, moneymitch, what test kit does your friend use that can measure a nitrate level that high? API Master Kit for freshwater can only show up to 160.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
on another forum im a member of there is one guy i know for sure that has nitrates sky high like this. here is the link to his aquarium. as you can see all is well.
Even he was shot down on that forum for recommending nitrates be that high. No matter, I know what my readings are, and I know they are accurate, and I know I've never seen nitrate in any of MY planted tanks over 20 once its mature and growing well.

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
LOL!
Ok, moneymitch responded without thinking it through, we all make mistakes.

I'll definately get a nitrate kit, to be honest I've put it off because I've always had plans of buying the master kit which includes all three ammo,nitri,nitra + pH. Anyway thanks for the tip Newman.
Also guys I am reletively new to aquatic plants and having to maintain a higher level of nitrates is news to me. The morons at my LFS didn't mention anything about that or nitrogen. Just 'yeah they're really easy, nothing you have to add or do other than lots of fresh water!'. So any advice or newbie tips for plants or anything I should be aware of to do with plants would be great. Thanks-