Color of Poop

Nemo'sMom

Small Fish
Oct 27, 2009
So, I am new to this game and have read a couple things about determining potential digestive problems by the color of the fish's poop. I have 3 gf atm and they all seem fine. Just curious if anyone has any info on this so I can have a heads up if something goes wrong. I currently feed flakes 75% of the time with occasional brine shrimp, blood worms, peas etc. Just trying to amass as much information as possible :)

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
Can't give you any info regarding the color of fish poo and its meanings, but I just wanted to say, Its great you want to make sure your fish are all good and well but don't overthink things. Especially with gf. Your feeding them a nice, well balanced diet and so there for you should not have to worry to much about intestinal disease/problems.

Nemo'sMom

Small Fish
Oct 27, 2009
Thanks for the encouragement :) It gets a bit confusing at times with all the information available out there ... I will keep it simple and address the problems if/when they arrive. And in the mean time, enjoy the fish!

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
... I will keep it simple and address the problems if/when they arrive. And in the mean time, enjoy the fish!
IMO - Prevention is better than a cure and your doing all you can as far as their diet is concerned so make sure you test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH once a week and keep up with the water changes and I can't think of why your fish shouldn't thrive.
Don't forget to enjoy your fish :)
Good luck!

Nemo'sMom

Small Fish
Oct 27, 2009
I do enjoy them ... my friends think I am crazy-obsessed! They have all heard WAY too much about goldfish. The fish are thriving and I do frequent water changes and test the water often. I consider them a bit spoiled. :) Lately I've noticed two friends have "carnival" gf they got for their kids. They are living in little "goldfish bowls" and the water is so cloudy you have to look to see the fish! Is there any way to keep them in these bowls without killing them? Can you change the water frequently enough with water conditioner to keep them from dying from ammonia poisoning? I don't see either of them investing in a tank and are probably just waiting out the inevitable for their kids sake. But I would love to offer suggestions if there are any out there.

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
......Is there any way to keep them in these bowls without killing them? Can you change the water frequently enough with water conditioner to keep them from dying from ammonia poisoning? I don't see either of them investing in a tank and are probably just waiting out the inevitable for their kids sake. But I would love to offer suggestions if there are any out there.
To be honset I have never kept goldfish.. however from what I do know, they are meant to be high end ammonia producers, so I don't hold much long term hope for your friends gf. So I guess short of getting some sort of filtration happening, daily w/c's 40-50%, being sure to remove the actual physical waste. And make sure to strictly follow the label when adding chems as its extremely easy to overdose with that much water.
Also try a dechlor that also detoxifies ammonia at the same time, it might help. I know of API Ammo Lock but I believe the popular one in the US that does the same thing but better (i guess) is called Prime. Hope it helps

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
To be honset I have never kept goldfish.. however from what I do know, they are meant to be high end ammonia producers, so I don't hold much long term hope for your friends gf. So I guess short of getting some sort of filtration happening, daily w/c's 40-50%, being sure to remove the actual physical waste. And make sure to strictly follow the label when adding chems as its extremely easy to overdose with that much water.
Also try a dechlor that also detoxifies ammonia at the same time, it might help. I know of API Ammo Lock but I believe the popular one in the US that does the same thing but better (i guess) is called Prime. Hope it helps

As averything said above is quite accurate, I will say that unfortunately those goldfish in bowls will not survive. I've kept these things for 12 years in my 40 gallon (i still have one left) and they died like crazy in the 40 gal. that is because i had limited knowledge and didnt feel like learning about aquariums in general. given a person who doesnt know much about fish, who keeps goldfish in bowls, you can expect that goldfish to die within a week or two. They really need a tank minimum of 15 gallon for one goldfish (no matter what variety) and heavy filtration. the bowls cannot provide anything. Sorry but i cannot see how they can keep those alive for a long time.

I'd suggest for them to get a bigger tank, and learn about cycling. either way those goldies wont last long enough to see the new cycled tanks. :(

Nemo'sMom

Small Fish
Oct 27, 2009
With all the research I've done over the last 6mo, I'm afraid I have to agree with you. I bought my first gf and dropped it in a 3 gallon tank and THEN started reading! I did a water change every 2-3 days and watched the levels like a hawk while I bought the 26g and started cycling it. The oranda survived and is quite healthy and at least doubled in size. But like I said, I became obsessed. :) My friends don't even want to have to clean the bowl. It's sad and I know my efforts would only prolong the inevitable. Maybe I should start a goldfish rescue business.......... Thanks for the input though. I keep preaching, but some people just aren't the converting type. :)