stocking questions???

zigzag131

Large Fish
Apr 10, 2009
i would like to add something to the tank my gbr's are in but im not sure what type of fish to get or anything so advice here would be good.

well i have an empty 29 gallon and an empty 110 gallon tank just laying around and want to put them to use so here goes.

im really liking how these guys look and would like to put them in the 29 gallon tank, but what would be the max number any of you would reccomend?
Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Snakeskin Barb

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+880+2518&pcatid=2518

im thinking for my 110 i would like some colorfull fish and try to decorate the tank well with fake plants until i get the planted thing down lol, so i was thinking some of these
Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Boesemani Rainbow

please feel free to give me any advice you would like to or suggest any fish you would like to, I AM WILLING TO PAY UP TO $200 FOR A FISH BUT NO MORE i mean for 1 fish not up to $200 all together...

i am also looking for a good site to buy fancy plecos from so if anyone knows any let me know

phin

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2009
Must be nice to have tanks just lying around and $200 to spend on a single fish. If I bought a fish for $200 it would probably die on my within a month.

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
Also,
I recommend for one of your larger tanks a black ghost knife. They are an awesome looking fish that grow quite large. They can be kept in a community tank but only with tougher kind of fish like barbs, not guppies. But ONLY 1 black ghost per tank.
If you like cichlids, I would recommend a festivum. Beautiful and placid. And they don't grow to large.
When you have a more specific question, once you have chosen a few fish you would like to get, try the site's below to run your question by an expert before you go and buy -

Fish - Pet Fish - Animals/Pets

Freshwater Aquarium - Pet Fish - Animals/Pets

zigzag131

Large Fish
Apr 10, 2009
Well for my 110 i want to try to decorate it nicely with fake plants until i know live plants wont die on me or atleast i know i can take care of the correctly, so for this tank i would love schoaling fish i large group of them, or a large group of colorful fish that will get along with each other,

for the 29 gallon tank i am kinda thinking about trying some freshwater lobster, not sure what breed yet i am going to look around, and i would like some fish that can safely live with these,

now for the $200 i said i am willing to spend thats mainly for a fancy pleco of some kind but i dont know any websites that sell them or have them in stock,

i have setup both tanks last night with my filters heaters rocks, and some fake plants in both tanks, i used some water and some stuff from the filter in my 200 gallon tank in both and will now wait,

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
What about a nice school of balloon mollies? they're a funny lookin lil fish. I've seen them white, black, orange and platinum colors.
Platies do well in a large school and come in some great colours.
Or if your wanting something a little larger (still relatively small) but that still schools well and look awesome in a school, I recommened barbs. Check out the different variation you can get online. My favourite would probably be tigers.
Also if you would think about getting a bottom feeder aswell, clown loaches would be a good match. They themselves live in groups, preferring at least 4 per group and they would not bother the other members of the tank........thinking about it more though you may want to check out what other loaches live in groups as the clown loach can grow quite large and may out grow a 110G..eventually.

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
Must be nice to have tanks just lying around and $200 to spend on a single fish. If I bought a fish for $200 it would probably die on my within a month.
Cheer up mate.... Your sig says you have a common pleco? So do I, I live in Australia and he cost me $180AUD (approx $170USD atm) so if you lived here you would have a fish worth close to $200...lol
Just out of curiousity, how much does a 6 inch common pleco cost in the states?? I have a feeling we pay alot more for this hobby in general down here in Oz.

phin

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2009
Cheer up mate.... Your sig says you have a common pleco? So do I, I live in Australia and he cost me $180AUD (approx $170USD atm) so if you lived here you would have a fish worth close to $200...lol
Just out of curiousity, how much does a 6 inch common pleco cost in the states?? I have a feeling we pay alot more for this hobby in general down here in Oz.
Wow :eek:. did not know that. My pleco was about 4 inches when I bought him. he cost me $6.99, a larger one about 6 inches would have cost me $10. I generally put about $25 a month toward my tank after start up costs. I could just imagine what I'd do with $200 a month. *twirlysmi

AndiH

Large Fish
Sep 17, 2009
The Iron Range of Minnesota
Also,
I recommend for one of your larger tanks a black ghost knife. They are an awesome looking fish that grow quite large. They can be kept in a community tank but only with tougher kind of fish like barbs, not guppies. But ONLY 1 black ghost per tank.
LFS has one of these and I just drool over him every time I go there. Really wish I could get him but no way in hell do I have the space or have it any time soon.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
lol yea, knife fish are cool. but that clear pvc pipe that theyre usually displayed in makes them look so artificial >_<

If you lived around me JRB, i could have sold you a 6" pleco for $5

zigzag131

Large Fish
Apr 10, 2009
Wow :eek:. did not know that. My pleco was about 4 inches when I bought him. he cost me $6.99, a larger one about 6 inches would have cost me $10. I generally put about $25 a month toward my tank after start up costs. I could just imagine what I'd do with $200 a month. *twirlysmi
well as you can see in my sig ive spent quite a bit of money on this hobby, but i did all this within the first month or two of starting which was a mistake, but all is well now and i can afford to spend more then $200 a month on them but i just want a nice fancy pleco lol

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
Wow :eek:. did not know that. My pleco was about 4 inches when I bought him. he cost me $6.99, a larger one about 6 inches would have cost me $10....
You are shi**ing me!! $10!! only 10 freakin dollars!?!?!

Ok if any other aussies use this site and know what they pay for a common pleco in their area could you please let me know. I'm either getting ripped off hardcore or we just pay a hell of alot more for this hobby in Oz.
I'm just stunned..... :mad:

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
lol yea, knife fish are cool. but that clear pvc pipe that theyre usually displayed in makes them look so artificial >_<

If you lived around me JRB, i could have sold you a 6" pleco for $5
:mad: why I wonder.... I mean it makes no sence. I know we generally pay more for everything in Australia because our population of 21 million has alot less bargaining power than the States 300 odd million, but $5-$10 to a MASSIVE! $150(approx allowing for exchange rate) is absolutely ridiculous! As I said... It makes NO sence.

Feb 27, 2009
:mad: why I wonder.... I mean it makes no sence. I know we generally pay more for everything in Australia because our population of 21 million has alot less bargaining power than the States 300 odd million, but $5-$10 to a MASSIVE! $150(approx allowing for exchange rate) is absolutely ridiculous! As I said... It makes NO sence.
It is because your country has much stricter import laws that we do in the states.

At that cost, you should get your pleco a mate, mate! They breed easily.

phin

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2009
I'm actually on my 2nd pleco. The first one jumped out of the tank one night the first week I had him. My dog ate his tail. He was dead by the morning. I'm glad it was only $7. I would have been pretty upset if my dog ate a $150 fish, I tell you what.

LadyLail

Large Fish
Dec 31, 2008
NC
www.myspace.com
They have plec on sale at my LFS for 3.99 this week! :) Sorry, had to go there... that REALLY SUCKS that you have to pay so much. Hoping your rate of pay is better htan here in the states. Minimum wage in NC is $7 and change... I can't think of the exact rate but I know it's somehere around there. What's y'alls minimum wage out of curiosity?

And I just skimmed through teh posts, but a Rainbow tank would be GLORIOUS!!! I love my rainbows and they do so well together. You don't even have to school them with exact species. I've paired mine up and am planning on adding a few more pairs to the ensemble when we settle into our new home. They have the best personalities and are great tank mates with anything else you may have.

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
It is because your country has much stricter import laws that we do in the states.

At that cost, you should get your pleco a mate, mate! They breed easily.
Yeh ur right, found out today thats the reason for the massively inflated price...We apparently basically have the strictest import laws on wildlife in the world.. yay for me!...
I could get another and attempt to breed but.... how do I guarantee I end up with a male and a female?? aren't they near impossible to sex visually? and they need (reportedly) a huge tank to breed. Plus all of the other potential variables that go with breeding fish... at $180 a pop.. i think i'll pass...mate, lol!

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
.....Hoping your rate of pay is better htan here in the states. Minimum wage in NC is $7 and change... I can't think of the exact rate but I know it's somehere around there. What's y'alls minimum wage out of curiosity?.....
Minimum hourly rate - $13.47 ph
Average hourly rate - (IMO) $18 ph

I'm 23 and I earn $24 ph but it depends on what industry and what bases of employment, part time, casual, full time etc. Our waiters and waitresses, for example, earn a much higher rate in Oz compared with the States but thats because we don't tip in Australia.

zigzag131

Large Fish
Apr 10, 2009
i make $20.00 an hour as a head chef working 6 days a week and im 19 i live by myself so i have some left over money lol, at the end of each month i make $4800 of course imagine if taxes are taken out but, after paying all my bills i would have around $3500 left.

but anyways back to the topic, i have two gbr's in a 110 and would like to get a couple more and also some other type of fish that wouldnt bother them, what would you reccomend?