Chinese Algae Eaters

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
I think I've purchased myself two little problems...
I have just gotton two Chinese algae eater. 1 normal 1 gold
Stupidly I waited until after I purchased them to find out a little more info on them.
I've read the following:

- They get extremely aggressive and territorial as they grow.
- They don't eat algae when they're kept in coldwater.
- They won't tolerate their own kind when they are older.
- They grow up to 12" regardless of the size of aquarium.
- They will attack slower moving fish and attach themselves to them and can even kill by basically sucking a hole in them.
But the kicker is...!
- They eat algae less and less as they grow and eventually stop altogether turning, simply, into an aggressive, territorial bottom feeder!

Anyone who can confirm or bust these 'facts' ? Anyone have any experience with these fish or any input? Is this why everyone in the states seems to use Otos??

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
That is exactly why I prefer researching **before** buying. You can always take 'um back if it hasn't been to long since you bought them. Make sure they are CAE and not SAE, SAE (siamese algae eaters) grow about 5 inch, and are good algae eaters.

Feb 27, 2009
I think I've purchased myself two little problems...
I have just gotton two Chinese algae eater. 1 normal 1 gold
Stupidly I waited until after I purchased them to find out a little more info on them.
I've read the following:

- They get extremely aggressive and territorial as they grow.
- They don't eat algae when they're kept in coldwater.
- They won't tolerate their own kind when they are older.
- They grow up to 12" regardless of the size of aquarium.
- They will attack slower moving fish and attach themselves to them and can even kill by basically sucking a hole in them.
But the kicker is...!
- They eat algae less and less as they grow and eventually stop altogether turning, simply, into an aggressive, territorial bottom feeder!

Anyone who can confirm or bust these 'facts' ? Anyone have any experience with these fish or any input? Is this why everyone in the states seems to use Otos??

Yes, I can confirm all of the above, PLUS its not from China, so its neither Chinese nor an Algae Eater after it reaches a certain size.

Can you post a picture of them? They look very similar to SAE, Flying Fox and Oto. It's a good idea to know for sure what you have. A fish store near me had CAE in 3 different tanks, but labeled as SAE and Oto in two of them. I've bought Otos from tanks where they were labeled as CAE. They get mixed up all the time.

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
Most of that is true, 12" seems a bit big i would say more 6" range. I hade one in my fish tank and around the 4" size became aggessive and would hunt down the other fish. The tetras where fast enough that he didn't get any before i pulled him out. He then lived in my turtles tank where he hid all day and ate brown algea like crazy! After a year or two the turlte finally got him. Kinda said cause he fit in perfect in the tank, no one to pick on and kept the brown algea at bay.

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
Yes, I can confirm all of the above, PLUS its not from China, so its neither Chinese nor an Algae Eater after it reaches a certain size.

Can you post a picture of them? They look very similar to SAE, Flying Fox and Oto. It's a good idea to know for sure what you have. A fish store near me had CAE in 3 different tanks, but labeled as SAE and Oto in two of them. I've bought Otos from tanks where they were labeled as CAE. They get mixed up all the time.
Well I researched them and from most websites it says that CAE & SAE are the same fish just different common names. The pet store told me they were SAE not CAE but I argued that they are the same thing... they didn't know enough to argue back so they have agreed to take them both back but now I can't catch the SOB's, they're soo fast and my tank has way to many hiding spots lol. But if SAE are diff to CAE and won't turn aggressive and won't stop eating algae I'm more than happy to keep them as so far they have kicked butt at devouring algae.
I'll go try and get a decent pic of them with my mobile and I'll post it.
Thanks for your help everyone.

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
SAE are very good to have in a tank, the two have simular body shape but CAE have a sucker mouth and SAE have a regualar mouth that is pointed more downward. Also there is a flying fox fish which is simular to the SAE, not as good but not as bad as CAE

this page might help a little bit Identifying the Siamese Algae Eater

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
Those are for sure CAE's depending on what you have in there you are going to want to get rid of those CAE's before they get bigger and aggressive.

Good luck catching them, i had to just about empty my tank to catch mine.

SAE's are great to have, Oto's work well, there are algea eating shrimp, and also malaysian trump snails. All of these do not eat live plants and are not agressive (well the shrimp might fight for some food flakes but nothing harmful) I have all 4 in varying numbers as a clean up crew in my tank other then a little green spot algea they keep the tank pretty clean.

Last edited:

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
Those are for sure CAE's depending on what you have in there you are going to want to get rid of those CAE's before they get bigger and aggressive.

Good luck catching them, i had to just about empty my tank to catch mine.

SAE's are great to have, Oto's work well, there are algea eating shrimp, and also malaysian trump snails. All of these do not eat live plants and are not agressive (well the shrimp might fight for some food flakes but nothing harmful) I have all 4 in varying numbers as a clean up crew in my tank other then a little green spot algea they keep the tank pretty clean.
Arrgghhh! I knew it... thanks for the quick reply.
Well i'm off to remove everything out of my tank and catch these pr*cks..
BTW I have a breeding pair of Blue acara's and a baby tiger oscar in with them. They have to go, it just sucks because we rarely get oto's round here...stupid import laws lol. Shrimp and snails won't survive my male blue acara. Are flying fox a better option if I can find them?

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
The snails (MTS) are nice cause the have harder shells (but yes some fish can still eat them) they also hid is the sunstrate most the day and come out at night so you really don't see them. Most shops if you are more friendly with them will give you a few for free since they breed like crazy. Just but them in a hidden place so they can borrow in before being eaten.

I havn't had flying fox's but i've heard they have simular problems as CAE's but to a lessor extent. So if you can't get oto's or SAE's you could see what types of pleco's they have. The common one gets too big and will not eat much algea later in life. However there are some like the clown, bristle-nose, and rubber lip that stay smaller and will stay on the algea better. Also i belive they are from simular enviroment as south american cichlids so should fit in pretty well with your other fish.

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
.....So if you can't get oto's or SAE's you could see what types of pleco's they have. The common one gets too big and will not eat much algea later in life. However there are some like the clown, bristle-nose, and rubber lip that stay smaller and will stay on the algea better. Also i belive they are from simular enviroment as south american cichlids so should fit in pretty well with your other fish.
lol its funny you mention pleco's. read the stocking questions??? thread in the beginners section on the first page to see my trouble with pleco's.. although I have got access to bristlenose. They are referred to as bristlenose catfish not pleco's here (aust) for some reason.. I've already spoken to the pet shop and they've agreed to switch them for two baby peppermint bristlenose.. I love these guys but they're just so expensive down here.. one that is barely an inch long is $40AUD!! (approx $35USD)
I've got a common pleco already and yes he's to big for the 68G.

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
If you haven't already torn your tank apart, I have a suggestion to catch them. Let me know if you still need them caught.
I got lazy and haven't done it yet. Whats your suggestion?
So far I have tried a large net placed in the tank and then try to herd one into it with a smaller net
&
Placed a breeding net (net stretched over a frame) on the bottom of the tank on its side and placed a algae wafer inside.. no luck yet...
Thanks

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
The siamese algae eaters I found are hard to get or you find them in tanks with flying foxes.

I always found that the flying fox had a more solid black band going through the tail while the SAE it became narrow at the tail. I think the FF have color on the fins also but you cant always tell in stores.

There is also a 3rd which I always called a false that looks more like a FF and SAE but the black band actually stops and does not go through the tail. They eat limited algae unlike the SAE and that is all I recall on them. I had one and he came out.

The SAE are truly awesome fish for planted tanks. I had a group of them and they stayed topgether all the time in packs. I dont suggest these fish in a tank with an Oscar unless your moving the Oscar.

The CAE I had by mistake a while ago and it took a complete striping of the tank plus me draining the water..they are that fast. If you get him in a net you leave in there then your awesome...otherwise...good luck