I need help...

Julez

Medium Fish
Nov 17, 2009
Pensylvania...
:eek::eek:I need as much help as I can get... I dont know alot about filters n whatnot but am in LOVE with my oscars... I dont want to screw anything up (thats why i found this forum..) I need as much help as I can get!! Constructive criticism is welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Julez

Medium Fish
Nov 17, 2009
Pensylvania...
OK.. but what is the best set up for 2 oscars?? what kind of gravel/sand... what size talk... etc. etc I read that sand was the best... a min. of 90 gallons... all i could find when i set up 55 was reef sand.....

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Sand is best but I think will get dirty pretty fast with two Oscars in there, so I'd just go with gravel.....The best hang on back or power filter out there in my opinion are ones made by the brand aquaclear. I would get the one rated for a 70 gallon tank if you plan on putting two Oscars in the 55.

For your second 55 I would move out the rest of the fish that are with the Oscars in addition to the sharks you have in the other 29 gallon, as all three should be in a bigger tank eventually. And I'd also get the same type of filter for this tank.

If you have enough money for a filter you can look into getting a canister type of filter. They are more expensive but are better in a lot of ways.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
heck you can even go with an aquaclear 110. ive had that on my 40 gallon before and it did a good job of cleaning up after messy goldfish. but it also did a good job of sucking them into the filter intake of doom...

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Yah, its a good filter. since im not using it anymore on my 40 (it was way too strong for dwarf hairgrass) I'm definetly going to save it for a future 50-100 gallon tank setup. It could even work with a rift lake set up, am i right? I totally recommend that filter.

vo1umeone

Small Fish
Aug 1, 2009
I don't know about Penguin filters but I have a Cascade filter for my 29 gal and I reallyyyy like it. They aren't super expensive but mine works very well. It gets a lof of air into the water, is easy to clean/set up, is very quiet, yadda yadda. I just love it. Plus, they're a pretty blue color :3

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
i use 2 aquatech's HOB's from walmart. i used 1 on each side of tank. both are rated for up to 60g. i found that 1 just wasnt doing the job. both of them have been working great for almost 2 years now. but for buying 2 of them at that price you could probably buy a better one at the same price.

also like unwritten said those balas are gonna need a bigger tank. they require a minimum of 100g and are a schooling fish of 5 or more. dont get me wrong my bala does great in my tank but with the size that he is now i can definitely see where even my 55g is cramping him on some room.

Julez

Medium Fish
Nov 17, 2009
Pensylvania...
I have an aquatech 30-60 on my 55 gallon, a whiper 30 on one 29, and an aqueon on the other 29.. (the deal with the other 55 gallon fell through, so Im asking santa for a 55 gallon for xmas.*thumbsups:cool:....)