- 10g cycle problems -

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
Hi all,
Ok something is up with this 10g tank of mine. Its one of those all in one set-ups. The light, filter etc all made into the lid. Anyway the issue is that it has been cycling for nearly 3 months now and nitrites have not appeared...at all!
I lost the fish I had in it but continued to to run it as the levels of ammonia were high enough to continue the cycle but still 2 months later.. nothing. Except for one thing which I am convinced is the problem. The sponge and ceramic media in the filter turned orange. Anyone ever heard of this?
I've drained it once and changed the sponge and media for media out of my filter on my cycled 70g and refilled it. Within a fortnight the orange is back with a vengence. And still no nitrites, even though I was using very well established media, so whatever the orange is, it is killing the bacteria colonies. What should I do? :confused:

Feb 27, 2009
If you did not continue to add ammonia, the bacteria likely would have died out by now.

Are you adding ammonia to the tank to do a fish-less cycle?

Since you grow plants, why not just do a silent cycle?

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
If you did not continue to add ammonia, the bacteria likely would have died out by now.

Are you adding ammonia to the tank to do a fish-less cycle?

Since you grow plants, why not just do a silent cycle?
Thats the thing, by the time the fish in the 10g succumb, ammonia levels were at 6.0ppm so I just let it continue to cycle. I was planning on adding ammonia (which is why I asked bout surfactants in the other thread) when levels began to drop, however they never did....there was always ammonia present up until when I emptied it. And when I refilled it I added ammonia until I got a reading of about 1.0ppm. And now it still reads roughly that amount. Plus I used established media the second time and the ammonia levels didn't change at all, so whatever this orange crap is, is killing the bact before it can even make any difference to ammo levels.
I have got plants in the tank, a java fern and a amazon sword. They've both been in there since the beginning and haven't been moved. I'm amazed they have survived this prolonged cycle plus the strange orange problem. In fact the java fern has exploded in size and has new little java ferns growing on all its leaves. This whole tank has me stumped!

Feb 27, 2009
No idea what 'orange crap' you have. I don't use the type of filters you are using, so don't know about the problems they have. Sorry I can't be of any better help.

If you were going to do a silent cycle, you'd need fast growing plants and/or floating plants to make it work. Java fern and swords usually won't do it.

What brand of dechloriniator do you use?

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
No idea what 'orange crap' you have. I don't use the type of filters you are using, so don't know about the problems they have......
..........What brand of dechloriniator do you use?
Neither do I... its strange. I've never used this type of filter before either and I don't think I will be again. I would simply add an eheim submerged but the tank isn't really designed to have things added to it. I think I'll just give up on it. I'm still impressed with the java fern though.
I use API Stress Coat+

Feb 27, 2009
I use API Stress Coat+
That product binds ammonia, so testing your water would likely still show the ammonia (unless you did a free-ammonia and total-ammonia test). It's possible the fern grew fast enough to consume the ammonia and didnt give the bacteria a chance to grow. I have several planted tanks that have no ammonia, nitrite or nitrate, and are heavily stocked and have been so for years. The plants consume all the ammonia the fish put out, so no bacteria needed (silently cycled).

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
That product binds ammonia, so testing your water would likely still show the ammonia (unless you did a free-ammonia and total-ammonia test). It's possible the fern grew fast enough to consume the ammonia and didnt give the bacteria a chance to grow. I have several planted tanks that have no ammonia, nitrite or nitrate, and are heavily stocked and have been so for years. The plants consume all the ammonia the fish put out, so no bacteria needed (silently cycled).
But my ammonia levels are still high. they have never changed. nothing is consuming the ammonia.

Feb 27, 2009
If its bound, its usable by a biological filter (whether bacteria or a plant).

If its not going down over time, you are missing the proper bacteria to move on to nitrites, or the plants are not able to utilize it (lack of other nutrients or light). If the java fern is producing plantlets, it sounds like its growing, so I'd be stumped. Are you sure of your readings? Does seem odd.

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
If its bound, its usable by a biological filter (whether bacteria or a plant).

If its not going down over time, you are missing the proper bacteria to move on to nitrites, or the plants are not able to utilize it (lack of other nutrients or light). If the java fern is producing plantlets, it sounds like its growing, so I'd be stumped. Are you sure of your readings? Does seem odd.
Yeh I'm positive on the reading. It is odd. Very.
Yes the java fern is growing it has more than doubled in size, and plantlets.
I'm sure its got to be something to do with this orange 'stuff'.
I want to move the java fern into my 50g or 70g but I'm worried that this orange stuff on the filter media is some sort of fungus/disease/infection. If I move the plant is it likely to tranfer any fungus/disease or infections to the other tank? and if so what should I do to treat it before moving it?
Thanks cones

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
Orange stuff??!! And oure absolutel sure youre using pure ammonia?
Yeh I'm sure.
This orange stuff showed up long before I started adding ammonia.
I did it the fish-in method at first (I know, not the best way) and the fish were my ammonia source, and this orange stuff appeared. It turned the filter media and the ceramic noodles a rust looking kind of colour. If it wasn't for the filter media changing colour, you wouldn't even know something was wrong. The water is crystal clear, it has a slight smell but that is only the ammonia and the fact that it won't cycle.
I'll try and take a pic and post it.

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
Ok I've found the problem.
The plastic cover for the lights are screwed onto the inside of the lid with cheap screws that have gotton wet from condensation and have completely rusted, and the water drips from the screws back into the tank. I only found it because I took the cover off just out of curiosity as to what the hell was going on. So the orange stuff all over my filter media is RUST! :mad: No wonder why I'm having trouble with it.
WARNING - Do Not Buy AQUAONE all in 1 10g set-up, poorly made, waste of money.