Sand movers.

Kirbyyy

New Fish
Dec 1, 2009
I have a 10gal sand freshwater tank with a small school of cardinal tetras. I'm thinking the sand will get quite dirty and build up air pockets in which some nasty bacteria can grow as you know, I'm looking for something like a crab to clean the surface of the sand, as well as maybe something like the freshwater variant of a scooter blenny to churn up the sand to make sure these pockets don't form, and if they do are delt with quickly. Any suggestions on which crab/fish I should get that would deal with the tetra's environment would be very helpful thanks a ton :]

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Shrimp (red cherry) for the crustacian, and pygmy cories for the sand-churner fish.

You wont have this problem if your substrate isnt piled too high. if its under 2.5" in thickness youre fine.

Kirbyyy

New Fish
Dec 1, 2009
Thanks for the tips :] I will definately get a red cherry shrimp, but the cories aren't my favorite type of fish. Also I read that cories tend to stay mid level and occisionally go to the bottom. Anything else that will churn up the sand a bit?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
have you checked how small pygmys are? they stay at the bottom if theyre in a school. if theyre alone they will just roam all over the tank =/

Well if you dont like em, i can say goldfish certainly churn the sand, but are out of the question for a small tank :(

if you can find a smal species of loach, go for it.

Kirbyyy

New Fish
Dec 1, 2009
How big of a school are we talking? Cause im already going to have a small school of maybe 7-10 tetras. And some snails. I don't want to overpopulate my ten gallon.