Lighting

LucG

Small Fish
Dec 2, 2009
What light cycle should I be using on a 50 gal aquarium? I want to setup a timer but am not sure how much I sould give.

I aslo notice that when I get home from work, the water temp is up a degree. I'm assuming this is from the light. There are no live plants in this aquarium.

Should I go 12 on, 12 off.....or somthing 14 on 10 off.

Thanks

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
What light cycle should I be using on a 50 gal aquarium? I want to setup a timer but am not sure how much I sould give.

I aslo notice that when I get home from work, the water temp is up a degree. I'm assuming this is from the light. There are no live plants in this aquarium.

Should I go 12 on, 12 off.....or somthing 14 on 10 off.

Thanks
If you have no live plants, you don't NEED to have a light on at all. I agree with Newman, too much light will just invite algae growth. I'd still get a timer if I were you, so you don't forget to turn it off and cause an algae bloom by mistake.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
or just turn the light on at feeding timeand turn off after feeding times are over. that way the fish even get conditioned to react to the lights turning on by coming out towards the top for food (depending on the fish of course)

LucG

Small Fish
Dec 2, 2009
or just turn the light on at feeding timeand turn off after feeding times are over. that way the fish even get conditioned to react to the lights turning on by coming out towards the top for food (depending on the fish of course)
Well that brings me to another question Newman, How often should I feed, and how much? I'm not used to having such a variety/quantity of fish.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
dont know what fish and how many you have in there, but i'd feed once in the morning and once before night time as a rule. also dont feed them one day of the week. its suggested for letting them purge their systems of waste...but i never adhere to that rule anyway :p

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
Well that brings me to another question Newman, How often should I feed, and how much? I'm not used to having such a variety/quantity of fish.
Most fish, by nature, are scavengers and will constantly appear to be searching for food, they are opportunistic feeders and will take food whenever and wherever they can find it. Don't just feed them because they 'appear' hungry. Over feeding can lead to MANY problems for your fish and your water quality. It is really hard to give you advice on feeding without knowing what fish you have and how many.
Post back with what fish you have and how many etc.

Also on your light issue, OrangeCones is 100% correct, if you don't have live plants you have zero requirement for lighting. I'm guessing you want a timer to keep the lighting on a more natural level, well in nature fish (mostly) live in much much darker conditions than they have in an aquarium..