ph ph ph!

Dec 3, 2009
Hi all,

I have a 46 gal fresh water tank that I had for years and years with the same fish and then last year they all died.

I checked the ph and it was high, like 8.0-8.5 so I tried to bring it down but nothing worked.

The ph right out of the sink and right out of the hose is 7.0.

So I gave up until this last weekend, my 3year old son and I redid the whole thing into a pirates theme.

We threw away everything but the tank and got new filter, heater, pump, hood, gravel, everything.

I thought for sure my ph issue would be gone but it's not!!!

So, the fish store gave me these tank buddy pills to put in, they say that they hold the ph for several weeks. They worked, but only overnight, they the ph went right back up.

As a final test I got out 4 large glass bowls. I filled them all with tap water like this:

bowl 1: control, just has tap water
bowl 2: tap water and gravel
bowl 3: tap water and rocks
bowl 4: tap water and these clay pot things

Right off the bat, all 4 bowls tested around 7.0 for ph.

However, I came back a couple of hours later and all of them are almost up to 8.0, even the control test which just had tap water!!

I'm at a loss of what to do next.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
theres a classic example of not testing your tap water after a day or two for its real pH.
Fresh tap the you just got outta the sink will be much more acidic due to dissolved CO2 and other acids, or acid producing compounds. youre supposed to let the water sit overnight and test after most of the CO2 has left the water. thus you get the real pH of your water which was above 8.0 i'd say you can keep brackish fish, african rift cichlids and livebearers without a problem if you have a large enough tank. tetras and angels on the other hand wont be too happy in that water...

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
pH rebound will bring your pH up every time. your KH is likely high. one way is to lower the KH by using a 50/50 distilled water and tap water during your water changes. and stop using ph dowm and that tank buddies tablets. if you have any fish in there atm they will likely die from so much rapid change in pH.

or just go with the fish isuggested...be less stouble in the long run and less expensive than messing around with your water chemistry.

i dont see any need to "fix" it. the water is perfectly fine.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Simple fact- PH doesnt matter that much.dont worry about it unless you see a problem, large swings in ph by using products wil cause more stress. Most tropical fish are captive bred and have no idea what "natural" PH is so as long as it is stable your fine. Fish will become accustomed to it, the only time it really makes a difference is when breeding certain species that will not have viable eggs if the PH is outside a certain level.

there are natural ways like using crushed coral substrate that will effect your PH but I dont know if they raise it or lower it. Driftwood may effect it as well but I have ever seen any difference in my tanks with driftwood.

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
Pirate theme... I like it, could be interesting can you post a pic?

Stop adding additives or tablets etc. They will only mask the problem and make things worst and more confusing. I agree with Norman, your much better off matching the fish you buy to the local water you have rather than trying to mess with the water chemistry.
Also don't forget, now that you have a brand spanking new filter and ornaments etc there will be no Nitrifying bacteria in your tank and it will need to be cycled.

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
......there are natural ways like using crushed coral substrate that will effect your PH but I dont know if they raise it or lower it. Driftwood may effect it as well but I have ever seen any difference in my tanks with driftwood.
I believe crushed coral substrate raises your pH. I also have never noticed much of a difference in pH in my tanks that contain driftwood, but I have also heard it does.