Fish in Cycle ?

Feb 27, 2009
I guess I just wanted to point out that for most people the reality is fish deaths unless your willing to invest the money for the right chems (prime for example) and the time to constantly check levels, make adjustments and also what fish you are trying to cycle with, I've found guppies, for example, don't tend to fair to well. Although I currently have guppies in a cycling tank who seem A ok.... everyones experience is different.
The cost of Prime is not high when you compare the dose needed. Its the cheapest thing on my LFS shelf as a dechlorinator. The same sized bottle of other brands cost the same, but I need to use 10 drops vs. 2 drops of Prime.

Yes, it is likely that fish can die if you don't do things right, but to say fish WILL die is not necessarily so :)

Long live the fishies!

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
The cost of Prime is not high when you compare the dose needed. Its the cheapest thing on my LFS shelf as a dechlorinator. The same sized bottle of other brands cost the same, but I need to use 10 drops vs. 2 drops of Prime.

Yes, it is likely that fish can die if you don't do things right, but to say fish WILL die is not necessarily so :)

Long live the fishies!
Ok ok I stand corrected, if you actually make a concerted effort you WILL not lose any fish!
Well ok I'll just shut it cause I don't even use prime! *laughingc
Can't get it here, I use API StressCoat+ and its not exactly cheap, anyhow...:eek:

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
You really can avoid fish loss with all the great advice given.
Besides the prime and etc, the water changes will help keep the toxicity down even though as stated it will take longer to cycle. So if I were you I'd figure out what is more important to you, a speedy cycle or preventing fish loss.
If it happens to be the former, then don't change the water so often and allow the levels to raise. You wouldn't be the first to do it that way.

But really I just wanted to recommend for future tank start ups, buy a bottle of pure ammonia and cycle without fish. (Less fun because you have to wait to add fish but it is stress relieving when they are added and you don't have to worry about any consequences) This hobby can be addictive so I just wanted to throw that out there. It beats a fish in cycle (in my opinion) and ends up being less costly (time and financially).

Hope all goes well!

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
I usually do a fish-in cycle with a few cory cats and/or a mystery snail. I have also been known to sacrifice platy fry to the task before. I usually only would lose 1-2 fry out of a dozen or so. It also operated as " survival of the fittest" for future breeding endeavors.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
has anyone here ever tested whether it would be faster using fish-in or ammonia only cycling methods? pretty sure ammonia is the fastest way to go if youre just starting up a tank...to me its more humane. opinions vary there :p

billswin

Small Fish
Nov 2, 2009
Just an update I stopped doing the water changes every other day, and am doing them only when the levels go over 1.5 ammonia which was once.

I now am showing readings of .25 nitrite (day 9 of cycle) and the ammonia is holding just around 1.0 and under. All seems good I think.

What is a safe Nitrite level for the fish any idea?

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
if you kept your levels 0 during a cycle, wouldnt it ever end? fish-in cycling was never safe so i guess the question asked is flawed =/
Exactly, fish-in cycling isn't SAFE, in fact I would say it is the least safe method. I'm not saying keep levels at 0ppm but I was simply pointing out that there is no SAFE level for nitirites, don't wanna get a false sense of security ("but my levels were safe...why did they die..?"). Thats all....

Feb 27, 2009
Just use a dechlor that detoxifies ammonia and nitrite while not interferring with the nitrogen cycle, such as Prime. They should pay me in free bottles of Prime *laughingc

Feb 27, 2009
yah youve been promoting their product just about every where on the forum, they might as well thank you for that ;P
I've 'saved' several friends' aquariums by using it. I love how you can overdose it and prevent nitrite poisioning if you walk into a disaster (Water changes? I thought all you needed to do was top it off once a month!). Beautiful angels (4" across) were near death and survived to breed a few months later just last year. But not everywhere on the forum. Just when it would help save the life of a fish (I personally HATE fish-in cycling, but that's just me).

billswin

Small Fish
Nov 2, 2009
is it safe to use prime every day during the cycling process or only when water changes? I have heard both being done.

I have heard the effects of prime with the ammonia and nitrites only last for 24 hours or so.

Feb 27, 2009
is it safe to use prime every day during the cycling process or only when water changes? I have heard both being done.

I have heard the effects of prime with the ammonia and nitrites only last for 24 hours or so.
I would ask Seachem directly to get the best answer. Its a reduction agent so higher doses reduces available oxygen (which is why I always use several airstones when using it for nitrite poisoning).