pH level for fishless cycle in new 55gal tank

Wenty

New Fish
Oct 28, 2009
Minnesota
My pH is 8.3 is this too high ??? I'm on my third week and still no Nitrite and my ammonia is at 3.0-4.0 still.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
since its fishless it should'nt matter. ammonia does become more toxic to fish if the pH is higher, but like i said...
get your levels to 5ppm. then wait a week till they show sign of decrease. keep adding ammonia to keep 5 ppm up until youre adding a small amount of ammonia daily and youre still getting a reading of 0. then start testing nitrites. all the while add amonia daily. once nitrites drop to 0 WHILE youre adding ammonia daily, then do a big water change and stop adding ammonia. add some hardy fish next.

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
Your doing a fishless cycle so do not even think about pH until after the cycle has completed, it doesn't matter plus the cycle process itself will muck with pH readings. Your tank won't be stable until after the cycle.
pH asside, I would say the reason your in week 3 with no nitrites is because your ammonia levels aren't high enough, do what Newman said, get them up to 5ppm, that should kick off the process.

Wenty

New Fish
Oct 28, 2009
Minnesota
Well my Nitrites are starting to kick in...... Sweet !! I also bumped up the temp to 84F and have my spray bars bubbling the water up. *celebrate

I read somewhere by bumping up the temp in the mid 80's and having the water aerated helps speed cycling. *BOUNCINGS

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
Well my Nitrites are starting to kick in...... Sweet !! I also bumped up the temp to 84F and have my spray bars bubbling the water up. *celebrate

I read somewhere by bumping up the temp in the mid 80's and having the water aerated helps speed cycling. *BOUNCINGS
Great, at least its now getting somewhere *celebrate
I've heard the same, that higher temps will increase bact grow rate. The bacteria consume oxygen and therefore the more there is in the water coloum the better they do.