Native Minnow tank

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
HELP!!! Native Minnow Tank HELP!!!

I am getting a 15 gallon tank soon and I plan to stock it with wild-caught native minnows. I am just looking for some suggestions on what Type of fish I sould put in there, but remember, they must be Wisconsin Native fish. I was originally thinking about putting some Brook Silversides in there, but I heard they are kind of hard to care for, so I'm debatng that. If you have any suggestions or tips Post Please!!:confused:*BOUNCINGS *BOUNCINGS *BOUNCINGS :)

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
I am getting a 15 gallon tank soon and I plan to stock it with wild-caught native minnows. I am just looking for some suggestions on what Type of fish I sould put in there, but remember, they must be Wisconsin Native fish. I was originally thinking about putting some Brook Silversides in there, but I heard they are kind of hard to care for, so I'm debatng that. If you have any suggestions or tips Post Please!!:confused:*BOUNCINGS *BOUNCINGS *BOUNCINGS :)
Hey I can't be of any help as I don't know any of your local fish. Your question is fairly specific though, I'd post it in the FreshWater General Discussion - MyFishTank.Net Freshwater Saltwater Aquarium Fish Forum aswell.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
For info on Natives try the NANFA forum in my sig, they can direct you in the right dierection.

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
the hardest thing about north american fish is that the more interesting species live in environments with a large seasonal variance. Temperate species are harder to care for than subtropicals and tropicals.

I would recommend a larger tank and a bluefin sunfish or 2. Easiest fish to care for and they are actually pretty cool.

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
Help!!!! Minnow Tank Help!!!

I am getting a 15 gallon tank soon and I plan to stock it with wild-caught native minnows. I am just looking for some suggestions on what Type of fish I sould put in there, but remember, they must be Wisconsin Native fish. I was originally thinking about putting some Brook Silversides in there, but I heard they are kind of hard to care for, so I'm debatng that. If you have any suggestions or tips Post Please!!

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Go to the NANFA forum in my sig.. NANFA stands for North american native fish association.. the forum is ONLY about native fish including captive care. They will give you the best advice, their experience ranges from native hobbiest to breeders and seller to biologists. This is a great tropical forum but it is not a native fish forum, only a few of us here keep natives and looking for location specific fish make it more difficult to give advice, I can tell you I keep rainbow darters, blue spotted sunfish and some others in a 90G planted tank. There are some differences in keeping native and temperate fishes from tropicals, some do not eat prepared foods, one good thing is you dont need a heater but depending on how warm your house gets in the summer you may need a chiller to bring temps down.

Last edited: