Anyone want to help me pick some fish?

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
1 Peppermint bristlenose (or other pleco? The Peppermints look like they might be very expensive. If so, I'll want to wait until I'm fairly confident I won't kill it!)
They are kinda pricey. I paid $30 AUD each for my two (about an inch long) but they are $40 AUD when bought on their own. $40 AUD = $36.38 USD. Remember though its not like spending $40 on a guppy or even most cichlids, these fish are not only beautiful but they also live for 10 years plus! and if you ever had to sell it for any reason, they only get more expensive as they grow, you could sell a fully grown one for hundreds. Think of it as more of an investment into your hobby. He'll definately outlive most other fish you buy.

If you decide against them however, I don't recomemned a cheap pleco, majority of cheap pleco's are the common variety that grow to 2ft and are massive waste producers and quite quickly stop eating algae. If not the peppermint bristlenose, maybe a standard bristlenose (if they're more affordable) or another cool option - like 8-10 oto's.

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
They are kinda pricey. I paid $30 AUD each for my two (about an inch long) but they are $40 AUD when bought on their own. $40 AUD = $36.38 USD. Remember though its not like spending $40 on a guppy or even most cichlids, these fish are not only beautiful but they also live for 10 years plus! and if you ever had to sell it for any reason, they only get more expensive as they grow, you could sell a fully grown one for hundreds. Think of it as more of an investment into your hobby. He'll definately outlive most other fish you buy.

If you decide against them however, I don't recomemned a cheap pleco, majority of cheap pleco's are the common variety that grow to 2ft and are massive waste producers and quite quickly stop eating algae. If not the peppermint bristlenose, maybe a standard bristlenose (if they're more affordable) or another cool option - like 8-10 oto's.
yeah, oto cats are your best bet if you cannot get a gold nugget, bristle nosed, or spiny pleco. They produce so little waste they might as well be considered free fish in your tank. that and ottos are VERY active and get along with prettymuch everything.

Dec 4, 2009
Thanks so much everyone! Lots of good info. I'm learning!

Sorry, I've been AWOL for a little bit. Lots going on. With more research I've changed a bit.

I've ended up with my hex:

5 Platy (4 females and a male)
3 Peppered Cory
5 neons

So far all are doing great!

My new thoughts on my 60 g:

Start with 6 little angels (I know I'll likely have to re-home or move some eventually)

Rummy Nosed Tetra

Rasbora

Peppered Cory

Save up and try to get a Peppermint (or maybe regular bristlenose or gold nugget)

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
I don't think you'll have to re-home any of your angels, a good even number like that works well and helps to disperse territorial behaviour, preventing just one fish becoming a target. You also have more than enough space in the 60 for them. Good luck, I'd love to see some pictures with it set up :)

Dec 4, 2009
Thanks guys! I'll definitely look into the sword plants. I haven't even though about trying to deal with live plants yet. I do hope I can keep all of my angels. I'd love to have that many big beauties in there. I'll just how to see what happens with aggression. I do have lots of silk plants and few plastics. Also a fair number of decorations.

It did not occur to me when starting a tank, especially a deep one (mine are both 24") that more stuff means it is much, much harder to find a fish if they die or to keep an accurate count to make sure one hasn't died. My 27 is down to just the plants along the back and sides as the big old fake rocky decoration made it nearly impossible to count everyone! Probably not such a big deal after the tank is settled and such, but I lost one fish soon after introduction in that tank and didn't realize at that point how carefully I needed to be counting. I thought she was just hiding. Anyway, a dead rotting fish under your decoration for two days is NOT a good way to keep a tank in good shape. Live and learn!!

I will share pictures soon though. I'm fairly big into photography, but it's almost all my horses, dogs and cats. I suck at people. Fish and tanks are a whole new ball game!! I'm going to start working on it though. I love a new challenge.

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
I will share pictures soon though. I'm fairly big into photography, but it's almost all my horses, dogs and cats. I suck at people. Fish and tanks are a whole new ball game!! I'm going to start working on it though. I love a new challenge.
google "wayne shmidt's this and that", he made a photo chamber for Siamese fighting fish that allows him to get some very nice photos. IDK if you could use it for other kinds of fish, but worst case scenario, it is a great excuse to buy a few bettas!

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia

Start with 6 little angels (I know I'll likely have to re-home or move some eventually)

Rummy Nosed Tetra

Rasbora

Peppered Cory

Save up and try to get a Peppermint (or maybe regular bristlenose or gold nugget)
Sounds good *thumbsups

...I will share pictures soon though. I'm fairly big into photography, but it's almost all my horses, dogs and cats. I suck at people. Fish and tanks are a whole new ball game!! I'm going to start working on it though. I love a new challenge.
Cool, would love to see some pics. My tip, turn off the lights in the room, make it dark and don't use your flash. lol probably an obvious observation..

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada

Rummy Nosed Tetra

Rasbora

Peppered Cory

what kind of rasbora where you thinking about? There is over 70 speicies in the genus "rasbora", the most popular probably being the harlequin rasbora.

Dec 4, 2009
Sounds good *thumbsups

Cool, would love to see some pics. My tip, turn off the lights in the room, make it dark and don't use your flash. lol probably an obvious observation..
My problem with that is that my camera isn't fast enough. Or maybe I don't have enough light in my tanks. Even with my ISO bumped all the way up to 1600, the pictures are still too dark, or if not too dark, I can't keep my shutter speed fast enough to prevent blur. Sigh. I think I'll need an alternative light source most likely.

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
My problem with that is that my camera isn't fast enough. Or maybe I don't have enough light in my tanks. Even with my ISO bumped all the way up to 1600, the pictures are still too dark, or if not too dark, I can't keep my shutter speed fast enough to prevent blur. Sigh. I think I'll need an alternative light source most likely.
I've found turning all the lights in the room off but not the tanks lights, disable your flash and away ya go. You'll find it harder with an older camera with a slower shutter speed as the fish don't tend to 'pose' for very long lol. I just got myself a new little canon digital camera, less than $150 brand new. Works a treat.

Dec 4, 2009
I've found turning all the lights in the room off but not the tanks lights, disable your flash and away ya go. You'll find it harder with an older camera with a slower shutter speed as the fish don't tend to 'pose' for very long lol. I just got myself a new little canon digital camera, less than $150 brand new. Works a treat.
Huh, now see maybe that was my problem. I've been disabling the flash, but keeping as many other lights on in the room as possible that don't reflect. Since my camera is basically warning me it doesn't have enough light. I'll mess with different settings with all other lights off and my camera right up at the tank. I have a Cannon Digital Rebel XTi, so it's a pretty decent camera. My lenses aren't super fast, but again not bad so I should be able to do this!

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
Your Canon can get awesome pics. I use a Nikon D40X- pretty equivalent. I have tried the ISO up, but not been as happy. I leave the ISO on auto, pull the tank lights all the way to the front, use a macro setting, leave the flash on and shoot at an angle to the glass. I have found the most important things to be the angle to the glass and the distance of the fish from the glass. If they are more than 6"deep to the glass, I don't bother shooting them. The water really blurs. A little experimentation will let you know how shallow of an angle you get away with without a flash flare. I also sit pretty close 12" or so from the glass. As always, the more contrast the fish color has with the background, the better your final image will look. However, the macro setting blurs the background, making a lack of contrast less obvious. Fast ISO and adequate light allow tack sharp detail. Entire tank shots are miserable for me because all this advice doesn't work. That requires a tripod for really amazing shots.
I vary my use of the autofocus feature of my lenses. Its really hard to get it to focus on a fast sword fry, so I resort to manual for babies. All I have to say about shooting fish is thank God for digital because it takes alot of shots to get the one that pops.
Black fish are also a real challenge. My black angels are really hard. The flash shows their amazing irridescence, but inherently over brightens them. They don't look black. The pics are pretty, but don't accurately depict what they look like to view in my living room.

Here are some samples. The first angel is actually a black. He really looks light black with pitch black stripes to the naked eye. The other angel is a silver and the stripes are much more prominent than appear in the photo. The others are just examples of how detailed you can get using the above methods. That koi sword is only 19 days old and TINY. You can make out the scale detail. The other sword is 8 weeks old and I was trying to detail the development of his sword on his tail. The betta is a cellophane and this photo accurately depicts the transparency of his tail.

Now, try not to spend all your time playing with your camera and remember that we cannot see too many photos once you get the hang of it:)

As far as your tanks go, love your ideas and all the input. That peppermint pleco is just adorable. I want one too.

I hope you succeed keeping cardinals with angels. I have seen photos of them together, great combo. Of course, cardinals look good with everything. I am a big fan of cories too. They are just so active. It would be a nice contrast to my more regal acting angels, but my tank can't take any more bioload. I have 12 in a 55g. I got them tiny. Didn't really expect them all to make it and am watching for signs of pairings and aggression. They are really getting big and I don't know if that tank can hold them all. I would recommend you choose your cories based on the color of your substrate. I have peppers on natural river rock. They look good, but the contrast of blacks would really look great. Another tank has black substrate with albino cories. They look the best.

Keep us posted. Its fun 'going through it' with someone else:)

Attachments