help with angelfish please :)

Dec 14, 2009
England
hello all....

im getting angelfish soon and need some tips and pointers.. will they get along with my mollies and black phantom tetras ? im planning on getting two koi angelfish..

also i have bogwood in my fish tank and i find it stains the water slightly is this bad for the fish ?? i do 25% weekly water changes and my water is of good qaulity.

i hope to hear from you all soon :):)

20g - 9 sailfin mollies, 3 black phantom tetras, 1 bristlenose catfish, 1 swordtail.

10g - fry tank - 35 molly fry and a small bristlenose catfish.

3.3g - 1 female betta *thumbsups

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
With the current fish, fine, and the staining of the water is normal and causes no issues for the fish (your tetras and angelfish are from waters of a similar colour, often even darker). I'm just not sure I'd put an angel, especially not two, in a 20 gallon. These fish get taller than they do long, what are the dimensions of the tank?

Dec 14, 2009
England
what could i have ??

ive taken your tips into consideration thankyou :) does anyone know an attractive fish that i could have instead of angelfish then:confused: ?? thankyou for all the tips ..:)

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
Why limit to dwarf gouramis? Pearl gouramis, gold gouramis, blue gouramis, moonlight, any similar sized gourami would work well in there, they get about 4/5/6 inches each, some are quite territorial towards each other (such as the blue and gold), whereas some aren't as much (such as pearl gouramis).

That way you get a similarly sized fish, just not on that's as tall as angelfish.

Mixing angels with smaller fish

Angel fish are cichlids, so believe it or not as they become adults, they start to act like cichlids, There aggressiveness is not quite as pronounced as say a Jaguar cichlid, but the are territorial, and will operate in a territorial manner. As far as water chemistry goes, they enjoy and acidic enviornment, and tannin stained water, is not a problem. In fact being from the amazon, would much prefer it to be that way. Acceptable Water Conditions:
Hardness: 2-10° dGH
Ph: 6.0 to 7.5
Temp: 75-82° F (24-28° C)
Though they are considered a community fish, Angelfish will get territorial as they get older. Being in the cichlid family, smaller fish do not do well with them. They will pair off, developing a strong nuclear family, and defend a territory in which to breed. A nice thing about Angelfish is that they don't burrow or disturb plants! Good luck with your experiment.

Feb 27, 2009
Angel fish are cichlids, so believe it or not as they become adults, they start to act like cichlids, There aggressiveness is not quite as pronounced as say a Jaguar cichlid, but the are territorial, and will operate in a territorial manner. As far as water chemistry goes, they enjoy and acidic enviornment, and tannin stained water, is not a problem. In fact being from the amazon, would much prefer it to be that way. Acceptable Water Conditions:
Hardness: 2-10° dGH
Ph: 6.0 to 7.5
Temp: 75-82° F (24-28° C)
Though they are considered a community fish, Angelfish will get territorial as they get older. Being in the cichlid family, smaller fish do not do well with them. They will pair off, developing a strong nuclear family, and defend a territory in which to breed. A nice thing about Angelfish is that they don't burrow or disturb plants! Good luck with your experiment.

Credit to original source: Angelfish - Common, Pterophylum scalare