QUESTION - any alternatives to water conditioner ?

Dec 14, 2009
England
hello all ,

i was wondering being someone with a few fishtanks, i do water changes regulary and im using water conditioner all the time. are their any *money saving* alternatives to this??

i hope to hear from you soon ????

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
why yes there are.
One would be to age the water in a container (a bucket?) for around 4-5 days before adding it to the tank. the chlorine and metals will decompose to non-toxic forms, or evaporate all together. aging water is the most economical way.

Boiling water will also remove ammonia and dechlorinates it. but this radically softens the water and should not be used without adding trace elements back into the water (trace elements in the form of seachem equilibrium and such will cost you as much money as a dechlor)

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
why yes there are.
One would be to age the water in a container (a bucket?) for around 4-5 days before adding it to the tank. the chlorine and metals will decompose to non-toxic forms, or evaporate all together. aging water is the most economical way.

Boiling water will also remove ammonia and dechlorinates it. but this radically softens the water and should not be used without adding trace elements back into the water (trace elements in the form of seachem equilibrium and such will cost you as much money as a dechlor)
aging water doesn't really work with most municipal water supplies due to the type of chemicals used in the purification process. and heavy metals never " evaporate out" only SOME types of chlorine do.

dechlorinator is very cheap in general unless you are running a **** ton of tanks.

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
well then i guess trying to go the cheap way out will make you loose your fish huh :(
yeah, it sucs, you can't do anything the " oldschool" way anymore. you have no choice but to do certain things certain ways.

I have to know about water quality, as I had a minimum 3 otto cats in every single tank I owned. they make great canaries for other problems.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
ah yes, no wonder my goldfish kept dying before, when i used to use aged tap w/o dechlorifying it...
now that i keep otos (and tropicals in general) i use the dechlor with aging the water.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
they just like clean water. thats literally all. they've actually been so easy to keep for me that i never fed any of my 7 otos thus far, and none of them has died. (one of them has even survived a visit to the garbage can and back...longs story, dont ask >_<)
none of them has been fed beacuse my tanks can sustain massive alage growths (not fun for me to control but fun for the otos :p)

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I don't know. When everyone on here started saying how sensitive otos were and how they have to have "perfect" water and all that I was like "Ummmmmmmm...really? 'Cuz mine have survived bacterial blooms, algae blooms (which they probably loved :p), being put into small holding tanks with nothing running on them as I clean their tank...basically anything my female bettas have survived, the otos have." Tough little fishes, if you ask me.

Water conditioners

Hmmm, the only fish ive lost in over 30 years of fishkeeping, was due to old age, or i got bored with them, and traded them for other fish, And i have yet to buy 1 bottle of "any" kind of water treatment. However, i suppose you could call that luck *laughingc

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
You can look into what type of dechlorinator/conditioner you are using compared to other types as well. Some of them are cheaper than others. I used to buy big al's version of stress coat in the gallon jugs as that was the cheapest version of that type...but now I use Prime. It is a little more expensive per bottle, but a bottle goes a long way. You kind of just have to weigh what works for you.

btw, chlorine will break up with aging and chloramines will not...so depending on your water, I agree the cheapest "dechlorinator" is to age the water. Or if you're like my parents and on well water you wouldn't have to worry about anything except temperature :) I never have the patience or the storage for it, so I've just gone with a conditioner :)

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
Hmmm, the only fish ive lost in over 30 years of fishkeeping, was due to old age, or i got bored with them, and traded them for other fish, And i have yet to buy 1 bottle of "any" kind of water treatment. However, i suppose you could call that luck *laughingc

you must have well water or your local system uses a superheat or RO/ozone system.

Oto cats are technically scale-less catfishes. some random things can bother and kill them. Usually human stupidity kills them faster than anything else. most of thew time it is people without live plants that forget to drop in algae wafers that say " my ottos were always really active and then they just died" AKA they were starving and searching for any algae they could find and eventually starved.