Ergent help needed !

Dec 14, 2009
England
hello all,

so im taking some of my water to a LFS as they said they would be happy to test my water because there is no way i can test it myself as i cant find any ph testers... im sure ill do fine as the fish i have are happy and healthey and there is plenty of plants in the tank.. its slightly tanned from the wood , will they mind ?

so does anyone know how i can make sure the water is in tiip top condition for me to take to them in the nest 5 day :) please help lol
should i just do an extra water change ??

hope to hear from you very soon :)

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
when was the last water change you prefomed on the tank?
Personally the rule i follow is after a water change one weekend, i wait a week, then test my water to see if anythings wrong with it, and then change the water anyway.
so maybe you can test your water a week after you did your last water change. it will give you an accurate idea of whats going on in your tank between water changes.
Is there a reason you cant find a test strip kit? theyre quite inexpensive and not very time consuming to do.

Dec 14, 2009
England
:(

about three weeks ago lol i cant find the tests in england anymore.. i used to live near a LFS where they did it for free but i cant now.. but i have found one half an hour away that will and im nervous to see whats going on lol

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
why would you go out of your way to make the water better before having it tested for problems? you should be having them test it to tell you your issues. it is like people who brush thier teeth extra long before going to the dentist for a cleaning. it makes zero sense.

lludu

Large Fish
Oct 17, 2009
Frederick, MD
about three weeks ago lol i cant find the tests in england anymore.. i used to live near a LFS where they did it for free but i cant now.. but i have found one half an hour away that will and im nervous to see whats going on lol
Slightly off topic, but why drive that long for simple testing. You can order these testing kits for any water test (sometimes 5 tests in 1) right online for future use.

Water Testing Kits

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
why would you go out of your way to make the water better before having it tested for problems? you should be having them test it to tell you your issues. it is like people who brush thier teeth extra long before going to the dentist for a cleaning. it makes zero sense.
lol I agree, you'll only get false readings.

Slightly off topic, but why drive that long for simple testing. You can order these testing kits for any water test (sometimes 5 tests in 1) right online for future use.
Again agreed, go online for sure. Its also cheaper 90% of the time aswell.

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
I doubt they'll mind about the tanned color. I would agree with doomhed that you probobly shouldn't try to clean extra, but I understand why you don't get the testing kit, because why buy it if you only need to test once, and plus it's free!

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I doubt they'll mind about the tanned color. I would agree with doomhed that you probobly shouldn't try to clean extra, but I understand why you don't get the testing kit, because why buy it if you only need to test once, and plus it's free!
you need to test more often then once paperdog, you should test your water every week when starting off and then atleast monthly in an established tank

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
doesnt mean that the tank hasnt been through mini and even flull-blown cycles. thats why you need a testing kit to watch out for those and react in time before you start losing your fish.
I can say that i had my 40 gal set up 13 years. that means nothing. I've actually lost 90+ goldfish becuase i never tested the water and failed to realize when to do water changes...now that i test and do water changes properly weekly, i havent lost any fish...