do plants add to bioload or help?

rugrat

Medium Fish
Sep 19, 2009
north jersey
I have a small 5 gallon tank with 6 tetras inside... I religiously change the water every week and it's been thriving so far... I was wondering if putting a live plant in there would overload it or be neutral/helpful? Also it's just gravel in the bottom, would anything grow in that? Any suggestions?

Feb 27, 2009
As long as the plant lives and thrives, it does not ADD to the bioload. The plants can consume the ammonia the fish produce and make the water healthier. However, a dying/decaying plant adds tremendously to the bioload while its in there.

What type of lighting do you have? 5gallon tanks commonly have incandenscent lights if it has a built-in hood. That type of lighting is not useful in growing plants. If it is incandescent, can you swap it out for a florescent light?

Lots of lower light plants can either float or be attached to decorations like rocks or driftwood, so the gravel doesn't matter to them. Some plants can grow/thrive in plain aquarium gravel, especially if you can add root tabs.

rugrat

Medium Fish
Sep 19, 2009
north jersey
I don't know if I can swap it... it uses a short-ish incandescent bulb.. I'm willing to try, (actually wish it was brighter to be honest) but I'm not sure if I can unless they have them that screw in one side ;)

I have heard that there are plants that do okay in lower light and don't need extra co2, even if it's just grasses I want something natural in there, doesn't have to be super interesting or exotic.

Feb 27, 2009
Did you get something like this?

Walmart.com: Tetra Aquarium Starter Kit, 5 Gallons: Fish

If so, you can buy a 10watt florescent bulb at Walmart also, in the fish section. It would give you 2watts per gallon, plenty to grow lower light plants.

Grass-like plants are hard to grow in normal acquarium gravel and low light, although some have had success with some species.

If you can change out the light to a florescent one, you can grow Java moss, Java fern, smaller Anubias species, some smaller Vals, water sprite and water wisteria (the last two make good floating plants too).

rugrat

Medium Fish
Sep 19, 2009
north jersey
Thanks, that's exactly what we have. I actually just had to replace the bulb this past weekend but got a regular incandescent... I saw fluorescents but they were too long to fit in mine. I'll have to look at the "better" walmart ;) I'll have to look and then check out those plants :) The incandescent looks so depressingly dreary for some reason, haha.

Feb 27, 2009
Thanks, that's exactly what we have. I actually just had to replace the bulb this past weekend but got a regular incandescent... I saw fluorescents but they were too long to fit in mine. I'll have to look at the "better" walmart ;) I'll have to look and then check out those plants :) The incandescent looks so depressingly dreary for some reason, haha.
I was given this same aquarium as a gift and hadn't used it since the bulb made a planted tank impossible (I'm a plant-aholic!). When I saw the bulbs at Walmart, it worked perfectly. They are in the fish department area, not where you buy lightbulbs for a regular lamp. They were on those hooks where they had heaters hanging. And only $5. It will say 'to replace incandenscent lights in an aquarium hood' right on the box.

I'm able to grow even medium-light level plants since I only fill it 3/4 of the way and use some of the room under the hood and above the water-line to let the floating plants flower. With the fish you have, I wouldn't recommend you do this though. They are kinda cramped in a tank this size, so you wouldn't want to cut out 25% of their water.

You will really like the light when you can get it. It does look dreary with the other light. Like a light on low-dim, compared to noon-time light!
Good luck!

Last edited: