Good Community fish for a 15 Gallon Freshwater

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
As some of you know, I was going to use the new fifteen gallon for native darters, but I decided not to because it gets pretty warm in the summer, and I have a heater, so I'm going to go with tropicals. In my fisve gallon I currently have a Sunset Platy, an Oto, and a (very small and soon to be released) yellow bullhead. The Platy and Oto are going in the 15, so I was thinking about getting more sunsets, but do they school? Also I might get a small school of neon tetras, and one or two dwarf gouramis. Does anyone have suggestions as to what I should get? Oh and also the tank is going to be planted. Thanks!!! :) *celebrate *GOLDFISH*

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
a 7-8 school of schooling fish. 1 dwarf gourami. and w/e platies you have right now. add 2 more sunsets but make sure theyre female. get 4 more otocinclus, and i think youll be stocked well.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
sounds like a good idea, newman. Be sure to get more platys, they like to be in groups but they don't school... more like "hang out" together, if you know what I mean. I think 5 otos is a bit much personally, I would get 3 for a 15 gallon. I reccomend harlequin rasboras for a community tank, I find them a bit more interesting than, say, neons :)

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
not harlequin rasboras. Sometimes single-kept schooling fish can get a bit cranky (and their color is faded usually) but not if you keep them in schools of 3+ (I reccomend more than 3, though).
Yes, cory cats are very fun, very busy, and very cute! be sure to get *at least* 2.
I got my albino cories at barely an inch long (if even). Too cute! Now they have grown lots!

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
ok, thanks again everyone!! So thats 7 harlequin rasboras, 4 dwarf cory cats, 3 otos, 3 platys, and a dwarf gourami. I'm so exited!! :) I'll keep you updated on how things are going! Currently it is empty, but tommorrow I'm going to get the substrate and water! Thank you sooooooooooo much!!!!! :D

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
ok here it goes...Awesome!!!!! the stocking level is only 98 percent!!!!! Do you think I should leave it like that in case someone has babies, probably going to be the platys? or I could either add one dwarf cory or one rasbora to make it exactly one hundred?

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
Also here's an update, I just got the aquarium set up and we went out and bought all kinds of fun stuff like pea gravel from Menards, fluorescent light bulbs, and a plnat (moneywort) The water is a bit cloudy, but we just put the gravel in. Also the moneywort is in my five gallon in the picture, waiting for the 15 to warm up. we added the plant food, the decore, some aquarium salt, the declorinator, and the cycle speeder stuff and turned on the filter and air pump. Heres some pictures. *twirlysmi

Attachments