Neo Nano startup

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I see the water coming over the waterfall now that you have said that. Really seems like a pretty good idea as a way to have more water in the system, you could most likely add a piece or two of live rock in there if you wanted.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Update time. We've had a little algae, still working on it. It's receding. We had a bunch of frags come through the tank that we since took to the LFS.

This is from sometime in September, I think:

Green tubipora. Not a great pic of it:

Regular xenia (in front), blue xenia (behind)

Chalice coral coloring up:

The tank's only fish, a scooter dragonet:

Full tank shot from today:

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Looks nice, what is that Green SPS coral in the first pic, I like that one, looks like you got rid of it though. The Sun Coral looks like a really nice piece along with those (forgot what they are called) the green flower things in your second pic. Anyway, thanks for posting

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Crackerman: The rock was mostly from a well-established tank. It's very different setting up a tank that way as opposed to using "new" cured rock. There never was an ammonia spike in the tank. I was testing/monitoring. Because there was basically nothing in the tank producing ammonia, the ammonia was undetectable.

Strout, that's not an SPS in there, it's a green sinularia (with its polyps retracted). We have a huge one in the other tank, and have been fragging it. We've been moving a few frags through the tank and selling them through the LFS or giving them away or selling them at local auctions.

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Just for my own edification, a sinularia is a soft coral (right or wrong?) How do you go about fragging it? I ask because, if you look at the pics I posted of my tank (FTS), the second pic, I thinks its called a Devils Hand but not really sure, the white coral looking thing on the left side of my tank is starting to get big and at some point I will beable to frag it. I am guessing that you have to frag it, that it dosn't drop babies out of its branches. I don't really have to frag it, I would like to at one point, just to do it one time.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Yes, sinularia is a soft coral, like a leather or toadstool. Basically, you cut arms off with sharp scissors or scalpel, then use thread or toothpicks to attach it to a piece of rock or a frag disc/plug. Most leathers slime too much for glue or epoxy putty to work.

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
So, what you are trying to do is to strap the frag down onto a piece of LR or what ever you are going to use as a base so that it can't move, and it will over time attach itself to the plug. I just knew you were going to say glue it, glad I asked.