Filter Help

Hi,
My 29 gallon has been up and running great for 2 months. I have a Marineland Penguin 200 w/ bio wheel. When installing a new cartridge the instruction manual advises to rinse first under running water before installing. ((I did this for my first cartridge change)) After reading several post and other sites I am confused as to the life and proper changing of these cartridge(s). Some sites suggest to rinse in aquarium water to dislodge buildup and reuse cartridge so as not to ruin good bio buildup.
My question, I quess, what is the best way? Not cheep :p just want to do the right thing for my fish babies.

As always, thank you for all your help.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
ALWAYS rinse filter cartridges in aquarium water. never tap water.
also once you rinse, you don't have to replace it. just put it back into the filter. I'd say once or twice a year, if you feel like it, you can replace the cartridge for a new one but don't just switch them out.

Now, to discuss the particular model of cartridge you're talking about. IF there is active carbon built into that cartridge, then the easiest thing to do is the cut the cartridge, empty out the carbon completely, and now what you have is the ever-lasting filter cartridge that doesn't have to be replaced as often. Why not constantly use carbon you ask? carbon is really helpful for two things: 1. removing meds from the water, and 2. clearing the water from tannins caused by driftwood or leaf litter. So you will have to use he carbon if trying to remove the above two things from your tank. otherwise you don't really need it as much as the floss stuff the cartridge is made of. Do not throw away the carbon. you can store it to use for later when you actually need it. simply pour it into a mesh bag.

Put the new cartridge into the tank and let it float there for a month or two. once it gets a proper amount of bacteria grown on it (only time tells) you can switch the filter cartridges. DON'T TOSS THE OLD ONE AWAY. instead now put the old one floating into your tank. this way the newer cartridge will build bacteria in the filter, while the old cartridge supplies more bacteria (basically bacteria should move from the old to the new)
after a few weeks toss the old cartridge....

What i described is the ultra safe way to do it and how to avoid any mini cycles while changing the filter media.

Last edited:
Newman,
Thank you for such a quick and informative reply. Hopefully I can pick your brain just a bit further. When you said you can remove the charcoal. Do I rinse and remove that charcoal for future use or purchase new charcoal in the event I need it for medication removal or the such? Also do you purchase mesh bags or make your own? Not quite sure how to use charcoal once filter cartridge is altered. I know I am probably over thinking this, being a newbie, but just want to start off on the right foot. After reading all the newbie horror stories of fish loss I'm extra cautious of any changes to the tank. I've been so blessed not to loose any fish. A lot of credit goes to you and this very informative group.
Newman, thank you again for your help.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Just a note to add to Newman's thoughts...

I run a Penguin 170 on my 46gal and a Marineland Hex5 system (same type of filter is built into the hood assembly). I've also had a Marineland Eclipse system 1 (again, same filter system, just built into the hood). I changed my filter cartridges MAYBE once a year. I just rinsed it like Newman said, in the tank water, and popped it back in the filter. I never removed the carbon, but I bet it wouldn't be difficult. And if you find yourself needing to add carbon for whatever reason (if you use meds or whatnot), you can always just reuse the carbon from the filter, put it in a mesh bag, and pop it in the filter.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I'd go with what bass said too :)

if the carbon has been in the filter and in the tank for a few months then yes buy some new carbon and store it until needed. carbon is really the only thing that needs replacement after a few months. W/e bass does is fine too. just cuz carbon is in the cartridge doesn't mean it'll rot. you don't even have to take it our or cut the cartridge if you don't feel like it :p Keeping it in the filter, and not changing it out wont kill any fish. just rinse the cartridge as usual.
Just dont expect that carbon to work when you do need it to remove meds/tannins tho, because it looses its usefulness after 3-4 days...say what?!!

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
Just dont expect that carbon to work when you do need it to remove meds/tannins tho, because it looses its usefulness after 3-4 months.
Actually, its useful for only 3 or 4 DAYS. Carbon adsorbs (not absorbs) what it can rather quickly. Wonder how many would buy carbon replacement cartridges if they knew THAT?!! :eek: