Anyone using LEDs?

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
I'm back, and coming back big (not big as in tank size). ;) Anyone using LEDs? Thinking about DIYing an array for my new setup. They have their benefits no question about that, but its a relatively unproven method. Until I see something terribly wrong with them i'm probably going this route. Getting my own place, these are going to significantly save me money in the end as compared to halides, yet I can drive them just as hard as halides.

Anyway, I can't tell you much about my project just yet, nothing is set in stone....but its on the horizon. ;) Just wondering if anyone else used LEDs and how do you like them?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I've seen some nice setups at shows, but never used them.

We were seriously considering an LED fixture, but went with T5. That's when the Solaris were on the market. I had a lot of concerns about spending $4,000 on something that may not have the longevity. In the end, the whole company shut down.

The newer units from Asia seem nice, and the ones I saw at the show really did look good. Colors were great, and there are shimmer lines. I still have concerns about how long they'll last (more on the wiring and circuitry than anything else). Sealed units you can't fix tend to bother me.

We have some of those Current USA moonlight LEDs, and they really are awesome. Nice shimmer lines, great color.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Thanks everyone.

Lotus, if I end up using LEDs i'll be a making a DIY fixture and setting up the array myself. Starting with the LEDs, heat sinks, soldering, wiring, drivers, everything. I've been reading extensively on them lately and once you break into it its really not difficult at all. And this is from someone with no electrical background at all (maybe i'm doomed ;)) Still has decently high starting costs (no where near the real nice fixed units) but I figure can pay off in the end. And you can always add more diodes to the setup without having to buy a whole new fixture. Not to mention the ability to have a dimmer on the lights so you can adjust how strong they run.

Its really advancing, I can see LEDs leading the reef lighting industry within 5-10 years.

I guess I can share a little info with everyone here...my initial thoughts/plans are to use a rimless "almost" cube tank. In the 30ish gallon range. We'll see what happens, as I am still shopping around at custom tank companies getting price quotes. Stand will be very minimal and Elos-like. Straight from the floor to the tank covered in a high gloss white. Not totally to scale or finished but...just a taste...;)

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Looks like a nice design, Matt.

Good luck with the wiring. I'm sure it will be an interesting project.

We have our little Neo Nano up and running, and it's not a bad setup. The hanging light does make it all seem pretty sleek, which is nice. The shallow, wider tank we have is really great for working with corals and moving them around. I doubt it would work so well for a lot of the SPS, though.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Really? Why was that? I know it doesn't make colors really pop as much as MH or T5s, but if you get the right combo you should be able to keep whatever you want.

I do like T5, and i currently use MH, so I'm very impartial to all...just exploring new options. If I had to pick between T5 and MH though i'd 100% go T5.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i considered going T5 and i may still do that if i find i need a chiller on the new tank... ill make the switch before i shell out the cash for a chiller :p ... everything ive heard as far as the led's go (and im talking about solaris when i say led) there good for lps but if you want a hardcore SPS tank they just dont cut it....