Fin Rot????

LucG

Small Fish
Dec 2, 2009
I have a 50 gal tank with 6 cichlids 6 danios 1 pleco and 2 rafaels. 2 of the cichlids were added 3 weeks ago, but the rest of the fish have been together succesfully for quite some time.

Two days ago I had a danio die, and another this morning. They both seemed to have deteriating tail fins, it was more the upper half of the tail fin. I also notice two other of the danios have the same thing.

I guess I am wondering what this could be??

Should I just remove the danios to prevent spread? I know they shouldnt be with cichlids anyway.

My tank is at about 79 degrees celcius, and I do 25% water changes every two weeks.

Thanks!

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
I'm with Newman. I'd say a cichlid is biting the tail and the stress of the attacks is killing the danios.
Are your other danios showing any signs of tail damage? Also what kind of pleco do you have? if the danios sleep on the bottom at night, the pleco might be having a go at them. I know you've kept them together succesfully for a while but as fish grow their personalities can change and they also change as they become more comfortable in their environment.

Monoxide

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2008
I have a 50 gal tank with 6 cichlids 6 danios 1 pleco and 2 rafaels. 2 of the cichlids were added 3 weeks ago, but the rest of the fish have been together succesfully for quite some time.

Two days ago I had a danio die, and another this morning. They both seemed to have deteriating tail fins, it was more the upper half of the tail fin. I also notice two other of the danios have the same thing.

I guess I am wondering what this could be??

Should I just remove the danios to prevent spread? I know they shouldnt be with cichlids anyway.

My tank is at about 79 degrees celcius, and I do 25% water changes every two weeks.

Thanks!
I was going to say what kind of cichlids? And what kind of cichlids were added 2 weeks ago? Also how long has your tank really been up? And can you tank pictures? Maybe with a cell phone atleast? Or google what you see. Even tho googling isn't the greatest method to find the truth. But like the others have said.. Id suggest taking out the danios. Because cichlids are pretty agressive. Depending on what kind of cichlids you have in there now.. Id say its the cichlids attitude and either it can be for territory or just plan whats to hurt them. I'd had tanks before where they did find for months even a year then I added (which you ain't suppose to but I did) and once I added them they started chasing them around and nipping the tails. Eventually I had to take the labs out and put them into something else. And 1 lab died due to to much injury.. other one healed up.

Does your fish look like this
They can either look like clear cut pieces of the fins like mine were.. Or maybe this picture looks like yours?
http://www.fishchannel.com/images/article-images/Finrot-TER-500.jpg

Last edited:

LucG

Small Fish
Dec 2, 2009
Yes, that picture looks like my danio's tail.

Currently I have
1 - 2.5" Yellow Lab
3 - 1" juvenile Yellow LAbs about 1"
2 - femnale auratus cichlids 2"
6 - 1" danios
2 - Raphaels 4"
1 - Pleco 2"

Monoxide

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2008
Yeah its aggression and Id say take out the danios... Unless you want him dead eventually. I ve had cichlids do so much chasing and nipping, it scared the other fish to enough to kill it. I to had yellow labs (they were the calmest of the bunch). But you just can't mix them. Its hard enough to have a big enough tank(then your limited on what kind of species) I still didn't listen in 1 of my tanks and kept all the wrong things... But I put in tons of hiding spots.

edit- for your fishes if you have a Walmart near you that you go to they got (melafix) best thing I use and works for all fish I had. Its for healing and tring to fix a nipped fins and skin. Also I was always gay and thought it smelt good in the tank anyways! Plus cheap and nice. Get big bottle tho!

Last edited: