All new to me..plse help

nomisbails

Small Fish
Dec 19, 2009
NW London
Will do, I only did a 50% change last time and the water was so much better, so doing a 70% this time. Is it better to spread out the water changes say a day or 2 between or do them one day after another? I was thinking too much would stress the fish more than the poor water quality? You by the way are a source of encouragement and information! Cheers

Feb 27, 2009
Diluting the nitrite is more important than causing the fish stress. From my experience, I've done 50% water changes every hour to get the amount under 1ppm, with no ill effects.

nomisbails

Small Fish
Dec 19, 2009
NW London
Done! And Im happy to say the nitrite is 1ppm, nitrate is 80ppm, ph around 8 so all is well. I cant believe that at the shop they gave so much bad information, like size of water changes etc. Never mind you have helped out so much and fingers crossed they are all happy in my tank again. Once again thank you all for the help.

Edit: I used the sitting for 24 hrs method, and watched the water. Noticed how it gathered bubbles on the side of the buckets what are they? c02? or is this the way the chlorine is dissolved?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
And Im happy to say the nitrite is 1ppm, nitrate is 80ppm, ph around 8 so all is well.
You should aim for 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and nitrate under 20. Hard to believe they are at 80ppm after all those water changes.

Noticed how it gathered bubbles on the side of the buckets what are they? c02? or is this the way the chlorine is dissolved?
Likely CO2 and oxygen. Chlorine is dissipated almost instantly using a dechlorinator.

nomisbails

Small Fish
Dec 19, 2009
NW London
Right...the nitrate levels are at 15ppm and the nitrite levels below1ppm. Tank is sparkling clean, fish happy. The only thing now is that the water hardness is high, I have tried to soften it a little as it is in the highest end of the scale on the test strips.....nex t problem. At least the other levels are better.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
Right...the nitrate levels are at 15ppm and the nitrite levels below 20ppm. Tank is sparkling clean, fish happy. The only thing now is that the water hardness is high, I have tried to soften it a little as it is in the highest end of the scale on the test strips.....nex t problem. At least the other levels are better.
Ok, I'm a bit confused. You just said nitrite was 1ppm, nitrate 80ppm. Now nitrite is 'below 20ppm' and nitrate at 15ppm?

nomisbails

Small Fish
Dec 19, 2009
NW London
yes sorry, i didnt watch what I was typing in all my excitement, as I have edited it and levels are correct above, nitrate at 15ppm and nitrite at 0.5 ppm. Sorry for confusing you....it wasnt intended. I fullly understand why it all came about and was given bad information from the shop where i purchased the tank and fish. Having been helped here I now know where I went wrong and see the error of my ways...simple newbie stuff really.

Feb 27, 2009
Whew!

Ok, what fish do you have left now? I know you had a platy from the first post here.

If it were me, I wouldn't try to adjust water hardness. Most fish will adapt with no problems. Keep things stable and shoot for ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate < 20, and the fish will be happy!

nomisbails

Small Fish
Dec 19, 2009
NW London
I have 2 x platies, 1x peppered cory and a guppy. They all seem fine and are eating well again. 1 platie wasnt feeding. At the shop I was told 25% water change a week, but have discovered 30% is more like it and over 6 weeks thats a whole third of the tank. went away with work for a week and they were over fed, and not cleaned properly. Thats when all the trouble started. Any how, how to soften the water, Ive tried boiling it but to little avail, will get a charcole filter to see how that works on a litre and then test it. Not sure but thanks and back to shcool for me....ha ha ha ah

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
Great thread everybody! Sounds like teamwork to the rescue to save a newbie's fish!

Leave your water hardness alone. Your fish will be fine. I have all the same fish as you in super hard water. Its a chore to change and hardness levels effect ph. Ph swings are very dangerous for your fish. A good sign that fish are generally happy and healthy is you can breed them successfully in your water conditions. All three of these species breed freely for me in my rock hard water.

Welcome to the hobby. Its gets easier:)

nomisbails

Small Fish
Dec 19, 2009
NW London
Thanks Becky, I was starting to wonder if the worries ever ended! The support has been great from one and all and greatly appreciated. I dont know how these little creatures have been able to get such a hold on me, but I really dont want to lose another! Many thanks