Need a couple more fish...which ones would you suggest?

Chad

New Fish
Jan 7, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Hey everybody, had my first tank up and running for a few weeks now. It's a 29 gallon tank with the marineland 150 biowheel filter. I've got a piece of driftwood and a couple petrified rocks in the tank as well as several fake plants for now and a somewhat dark gravel substrate and black background to give you an idea of my tank. Right now I have:

3 Head and Taillight Tetras
2 Brilliant Rasboras
2 Hi Fin Swordtails (Females)

I plan on getting 2 more head and taillight tetras, 3 more of the Rasboras and 1 more swordtail. I want to get one more pair possibly of fish to put in my tank. Would that be too much for my tank? Should I just stick with what I have? What would you guys suggest? I'm somewhat looking for a pair of fish as like a good centerpiece for my tank. Id like them to be somewhat of a larger fish and colorful, but peaceful and nothing too difficult to take care of. What do you all suggest? Thanks for any help you can give me. My ph level is at about 7.5 and my tanks temp is at 78 degrees.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I agree with Newman. A pair of german rams or bolivian rams would be a nice addition to your community. Although, according to AqAdvisor (which is by no means a "bible" to go by, but usually pretty accurate), you're already overstocked and underfiltered with just the 5 tetras, 5 rasboras and 3 mollies. AqAdvisor - Chad

Chad

New Fish
Jan 7, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Right now I only have 3 tetras, 2 rasboras and 2 swordtails. I was figuring on adding the others I mentioned above because I did check aqadvisor and it said it recommends adding a couple more tetras, a few more rasboras, and one more swordtail.

Do you guys believe I should just leave it with that? I would love to get a pair of the german blue or bolivian rams though. They would look great in my tank. If need be, I could add another marineland biowheel 150 or replace the one I have with one or two sizes larger to compensate for the fish. What do you all think?

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
I agree with Newman. A pair of german rams or bolivian rams would be a nice addition to your community. Although, according to AqAdvisor (which is by no means a "bible" to go by, but usually pretty accurate), you're already overstocked and underfiltered with just the 5 tetras, 5 rasboras and 3 mollies. AqAdvisor - Chad
Forgive me if I'm missing something but.. as far as I can see, they have 3 tetras, 2 rasboras and 2 swordtails. I didn't see anything about mollies and by no means think the tank is overstocked.

Edit: well that was answered quickly! In which case, I think yes you should be fine with the stocking you want, and a pair of bolivians or german blues would work well.

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
OK, if you decide to go with all of those fish, then run however many filters you think are sufficient. then make sure you do weekly water testing and water changes...get a liquid tests kit if you don't have one yet. The rams demand it!
seriously though, rams cant really handle any problems with ammonia, nitrite or even excess nitrates.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
bolivians are easier than germans.....

your stocking, including those additions would be fine even with your filter... a slightly bigger one would have been preferred but o well....

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
i suggest 3-4 honey gouramies. there really small. even smaller than dwarf.
Sparkling/croaking gourami are even smaller but those can be a nightmare to keep alive and they're likely to get harassed by the tetra for being so damn small..

Chad

New Fish
Jan 7, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
I will most likely do something with my filtration, either adding a second or going the next size up just to be safe. I've also just ordered a aqua pharmaceuticals master test kit along with the kh/gh testing kit too. I wasnt going to be adding any fish until I properly tested my water and made sure it is going to be safe enough for the rams.

I like the gourami's as well. But I think I may choose to go with a pair of Bolivian Rams as long as everything seems to check out and be okay for them to be put into my tank.

squidg

Small Fish
Jan 10, 2010
hello,
I have a 95litre tank, I have 3 mollies, 2 swordtails and bristlenose catfish in my tank. I also found 2 baby swordtails, they are in a breeder tank. I want more fish but dont know what other fish to have in my tank, please help me.