Setting up a new tank soon

IceDragon

Small Fish
Jan 20, 2010
I currently have a 36g set up. We wanted to get cichlids to put into a 60g tank. In the tank i also wanted to put kissing gourami. And some sort of catfish(we like there wiskers). Is this a decent mixture. And if so how many of each?

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
You could add what I just did in my 39g, which is a multipunctatus. They are striking in their white and black coloration, whiskers and high dorsal fin. According to my LFS, they will only get to about 4 inches, and don't need to be in a school, the way other kinds of cats do. But I haven't researched a site like planetcatfish, so do that first!

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Any fish, of any type, of any size will try to eat fish eggs and fry (some herbivores may not apply).

Some fish do quite well to isolate their eggs. When my first set of angels spawned, they held about 1/3 of my 100g tank for themselves, no one was allowed on their side, not even the BN pleco.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
A betta is a DEFINITE no with cichlids. The cichlids would tear the poor boy to pieces. I'm not sure about gouramis. What kind of catfish were you thinking? Like cories? Cories would be okay with cichlids, I think.
Female might work. I have two female bettas in my 100g, which houses 3 angelfish, 5 bolivian rams, 2 blue german rams, all of which are new world cichlids. These ladies can hold their own against the cichlids... but they're mature, bigger fems.

IceDragon

Small Fish
Jan 20, 2010
It would be great if i could put the bettas in. The cichlids we were thinking about are demasoni, and the acei, and black convict. The first to are african and the last is american. Don't know if that matters. And like i said the kissing gourami. And the more i think of it maybe a few angles would be nice. Oh ya dont forget the catfish or two. With this combo how big of a tank you think i need. I want at least two of each of the above