when to add fish?

Jul 27, 2009
Hi all i have set up my hexagon aquarium, it is approx a 70 uk litre capacity size and has been running around a week with de-chloronater, a fluval in tank filter, under gravel biological filter, heater (set to 24 celcius), a few plants and at the moment, no fish. Yesterday i took out 2 litres and replaced with fresh tap water but did not add any de-chloronater and was going to do this again in around 3 days time but afterwards add some de-chloronater, is this the right thing to do or should i just not bother and leave the tank to mature as it is and only do a partial change when i get some fish in it? the tank has been running a week on monday so far but how longer should i leave it before i add some fish and also when do i add the stress zyme? when it is time to add fish i was going to pop 2 guppies in there first to get the bacteria flowing, is this ok? thanks for the info in advance and sorry for all the questions!!!

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
Yesterday i took out 2 litres and replaced with fresh tap water but did not add any de-chloronater and was going to do this again in around 3 days time but afterwards add some de-chloronater, is this the right thing to do or should i just not bother and leave the tank to mature as it is and only do a partial change when i get some fish in it?
ALWAYS use a dechlorinator when adding water to an aquarium. Are the plants you added live or plastic?

the tank has been running a week on monday so far but how longer should i leave it before i add some fish and also when do i add the stress zyme? when it is time to add fish i was going to pop 2 guppies in there first to get the bacteria flowing, is this ok? thanks for the info in advance and sorry for all the questions!!!
The cycle has not yet started. Just having it filled and a filter running is not enough.

The best way to start your nitrogen cycle is by getting a liquid test kit and begin a fishless cycle. This link for the stickies here is very helpful.

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/fre...eshwater-beginner-stickies-read-me-first.html

Once the cycle is completed, you can safely start adding fish.

Good luck!

m4d1

New Fish
Jan 23, 2010
When you do water changes should you go ahead and add the stress zyme/ dechlorinator to the new water before putting it in the tank?

Jul 27, 2009
ALWAYS use a dechlorinator when adding water to an aquarium. Are the plants you added live or plastic?

The cycle has not yet started. Just having it filled and a filter running is not enough.

The best way to start your nitrogen cycle is by getting a liquid test kit and begin a fishless cycle. This link for the stickies here is very helpful.

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/fre...eshwater-beginner-stickies-read-me-first.html

Once the cycle is completed, you can safely start adding fish.

Good luck!
The plants i have added are a mixture of plastic and live ones. I will add some more dechlorinator to the tank to treat the water i put in the other day. From speaking to people i know they have said they have filled there tanks with treated water, left them for a month (running a biological and internal filter) and then have slowly introduced fish (1 or 2 at a time) until they have a well stocked aquarium and they have had no problems? how is this?

Feb 27, 2009
From speaking to people i know they have said they have filled there tanks with treated water, left them for a month (running a biological and internal filter) and then have slowly introduced fish (1 or 2 at a time) until they have a well stocked aquarium and they have had no problems? how is this?
Running an empty (of fish) aquarium for an hour, a day, or a month does nothing to start the biological filter. The beneficial bacteria you need to convert the fish waste from ammonia (toxic) to nitrite (even more toxic) then to nitrate (relatively harmless if kept under 20ppm) will not be present unless it has a constant feeding of ammonia. You can do it with adding actual ammonia (fishless cycle) or by adding fish (fish-in cycle).

Your friends, if they are adding 1 or 2 fish at a time, are doing a fish-in cycle. It can be done, but not all fish can survive the spike in ammonia and nitrite that WILL happen when doing it this way. Those that do survive may be damaged in the process and may die a premature death.

The most humane (and quickest) thing to do is a fishless cycle. If doing a fish-in cycle (which will take longer) you must test the water daily and keep the level of ammonia under 1ppm. It prolongs the cycle process, but will give the fish some ability to survive it.

What live plants did you add?

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
If your friends are adding live plants to the tank, and very slowly adding fish...like OC said they are doing a fish-in cycle. Biologically/Chemically...the tank will cycle whether you know it or not...but with the "recent" advances in our understanding of the nitrogen cycle we can "fool" nature a little bit and simulate the presence of fish in a tank by doing what we call a fishless "cycle" and then when that process is finished the tank is safe to add all of the fish you want to (within reason of course).

There are some products that have come out like Stabilize that are designed to help speed the cycle along with a fish-in cycle...and nothing says you CANT do a fish-in cycle...but if you choose to do that, you should get a test kit and be ready to test your water and do a lot of water changes when levels of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate get up too high. If I had to cycle my first tank again I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have the patience to do a fishless cycle :) Who wants to stare at an empty tank for 4 to 6 weeks?? After you get that first tank done, then doing a fishless cycle on another tank that is sped up by seeding with bacteria from your established tank is much less painful!