My Goldfish is ill, HELP!! Im a new to fish and not completely sure what im doing!?

Jan 31, 2010
Hey, i've had my goldfish 5 days and he has been doing really well. Went back to the shop with my friend today as she was getting one and the others in the tank with him are ill, they have that cotton wool fungus thing so i was given the medicine for it, but im not sure if i have to put dechlorinator in the water (i have to dilute it the medicine in warm water). Also he doesnt seem right, i think flashing is the term used,and hes loosing scales but i cant see any cotton wool stuff on him, but i figure that if the others have it that must be why he;'s not right? Any help would be much appreaciated. Im panicking!! Thanks

Feb 27, 2009
Hey, i've had my goldfish 5 days and he has been doing really well. Went back to the shop with my friend today as she was getting one and the others in the tank with him are ill, they have that cotton wool fungus thing so i was given the medicine for it, but im not sure if i have to put dechlorinator in the water (i have to dilute it the medicine in warm water). Also he doesnt seem right, i think flashing is the term used,and hes loosing scales but i cant see any cotton wool stuff on him, but i figure that if the others have it that must be why he;'s not right? Any help would be much appreaciated. Im panicking!! Thanks
What sized tank is the goldfish in?

Was your tank cycled before you added the goldfish?

What are you current levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Flashing can be the symptom of many things. Do a large water change with dechlorinated tap water, preferably with a dechlorinator that also detoxifies ammonia.