Good setup?

Kiwilover

Small Fish
Feb 5, 2010
Hello. New guy here. I started a tank back in June, it was a 30 gallon tank and it was somewhat overstocked with fish. I still have a good deal of the fish and I am going to buy a 65 gallon tank with money I've been saving.

I was wondering, will the following fish be compatible? This is what I plan to have.

6 Black Skirt Tetra (Already have these)
6 Tiger Barbs
3 Silver Dollars
5 Giant Danio (Already have 3, they just need more space to swim.)
1 Common Pleco (Already have)
3 Australian Rainbowfish (Already Have)
2 Dalmation Corydoras (Already Have)

I already know all the "NO DON'T GET PLECOS THEY'RE TOO BIG" stuff.

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
Try to add 1 or 2 fish per week as tank adjusts to bioload :) , if you can keep plants, it will be good for fish and they wont stress out. would be nice to follow your progress as you add all this.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I agree with flow about the pleco. but realy any dwarf species would be good. they tend to be a lil more expensive in some cases but are well worth it. and if u have never seen a longfin bushynose pleco before they are realy cool but maybe not in a tank with tiger barbs. they may nip on the tail a lil bit.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
tiger barbs with skirt tetras kinda worry me..since they have such long fins but skirts can be assholes on their own too... but the tigers and the silver dollars scare me more cause the barbs are so active and the silver dollars are pretty skittish and need lower lighting, less activity, etc...

Kiwilover

Small Fish
Feb 5, 2010
Alright, thanks everyone! I will add the fish slowly like I usually do. What should I do about cycling it when I get it? What should I use to cycle it? I have 3 red platy now, could I move them in there temporarily? They cycled my first tank for me.

Feb 27, 2009
Alright, thanks everyone! I will add the fish slowly like I usually do. What should I do about cycling it when I get it? What should I use to cycle it? I have 3 red platy now, could I move them in there temporarily? They cycled my first tank for me.
Put the filter you will use on the new tank on the existing tank for a week or two. When you do water changes, squeeze some of your existing filter media into the new filter. Then you can move a 'seasoned' filter to the new tank and be cycled already. Just add fish slowly so that you don't overload it and test the water regularly, especially at first.

Jan 5, 2010
vancouver bc
I worry about the tiger barbs, you'll be limited with what kind of fish you can have with them (they tend to be aggressive, however are better when in large groups), and I also agree with Flowmsp about the common pleco, they can get pretty big, and usually put out more waste than they eat.