Bubbles!!!

Carney

New Fish
Feb 14, 2010
The issue: I have had several diseases affect both tanks, one right after the other, for about 2 months now and have not been able to stop the cycle. Now medicines make an enormous amout of bubbles.

I have 2 tanks -
Fish in 20 gal: 2 large goldfish, 2 small goldfish, 1 small gourami, 1 algae eater
Fish in 29 gal: rainbow shark, bala shark, 6 tetras, an algae eater, a medium leafy something (brown, 2 1/2" tall, flatish?)

The problem:
Recently, in treating a bacterial infection (bala shark (+/-6" long) becoming red tinted) and after I added meds, I got a ton of bubbles in the tank as if I had dumped in dishwashing soap. I verified this was not possible from anything I use. The bubbles have dissapated, and I even scooped some out with a large spoon, but they are still present. Now, the 20 gal goldfish tank has ick. I treated it and wala, bubbles again. In my research, one person suggested the bubbles were from a water conditioner product called Slimecoat.

What the heck is going on? Both tanks have been established for about 2 years. How do I end the cycle of diseases and are the bubbles bad? If so, how do I get rid of the bubbles?

Please HELP!

Feb 27, 2009
You have tropical and coldwater fish in the smaller tank.

Both tanks are overstocked.

Until those issues can be corrected, I fear no end to diseases that are brought on by stress and cleanliness issues.

Carney

New Fish
Feb 14, 2010
Bubbles!

Thanks. I assume the gourami is the tropical one?

What size tanks wouldn't be overstocked?

Any thoughts on what the bubbles are and whether I should be doing anything special about them?

Feb 27, 2009
Thanks. I assume the gourami is the tropical one?
Yes, and likely the algae eater (without a more definate ID, most are tropical).

What size tanks wouldn't be overstocked?
The four goldfish need at least 55 gallons with a ton of filtration and large/frequent water changes.

The gourami and tetras could live together in the 20 or 29gallon.

A bala needs 100+ gallons and to be kept in groups of 5 or more.

A rainbow shark needs 50+ gallons.

The algae eaters, unknown, until they are identified. An otocinclus stays small (2" or less) and can live in either sized tank, but do better in groups. A common pleco gets quite large (up to 2ft long) and needs a tank 100+ gallons, a ton of filtration, and large/frequent water changes.

THe 'medium leafy something,' unknown, until it is identified.

Any thoughts on what the bubbles are and whether I should be doing anything special about them?
The cause of bubbles, could be a lot of things. Excessive protein (too much food/waste) can cause it, so can gravel that is too deep, causing sulfide gas to bubble through the water. Gouramis build bubble nests. Lots of possible causes with the tanks set up the way they are.

Feb 27, 2009
Never take the info from a fish store as the truth until you've researched it yourself.

My LFS had all Plecos listed as 5-6 inches max length. When I complained to the owner several times that it wasn't fair to those that buy a common pleco and have it grow to longer than their tank, they finally changed it to 'max of 24inches' which is closer to the truth. Trouble is, now ALL of their plecos say that, even the bristlenose and rubberlips (which do stay in the under 6" range).

Long ago, I was sold a group of 5 bala sharks for a 20gallon planted tank. Hubby liked what they looked like and the fish guy told him they'd be great in our tank.

They uprooted every plant in the tank overnight with their pacing and active swimming. We took them back the next day and traded them in for cory catfish, much better suited.

The diseases you are experiencing are the direct result of the tanks being overcrowded and incompatablility issues. A goldfish likes temps in the low 70s, and the tropicals need water in the high 70s to low 80s.

One goldfish needs 20 gallons minimum. Each additional one needs 10 more gallons of water.

Best to read up on the fish you like and want to keep, learn about that fish, then research proper tankmates for them.

Feb 27, 2009
I've never seen a common pleco over 12" (not saying it's not possible just saying it's pretty uncommon)
Most are stunted from living in an aquarium too small.

I used to have one that was 22inches (outdoor pond in Florida) and one in a 150gallon tank that was 19inches, both at about 2 years old. Their parents bred in the outdoor pond so I knew exactly how old they were.

Carney

New Fish
Feb 14, 2010
African leaf fish? Interesting- on-line pics are definiately not what I have. Although, when I bought it the name definiately started with "Leafy". I believe it is because it's color is somewhat camoflouged with black and brown. he is about 4" long and 3 inches tall, very flat. He has large eyes, and a serratted, short fins on top and bottom, and prefers to be totally hidden. I see him most when he's hungry. None of the pics I found on-line match "African Leaf fish" but I am curious to figure out what I have. Any other ideas?