cycling

dpeipus

Small Fish
Dec 6, 2009
Last friday I started my ammonia fishless cylce after letting water set for two days with HOB running. Today on Monday I tested for nitrite for first time not thinking any would show yet . It showed amost 2.0ppm? I did not seed tank as fishstore would not share. I did use eco-complete as I plan on ad ding plants this week. I used API test kit. tested twice incase I messed up. Seems to soon of nitrite showing. Any ideas what happen?

Feb 27, 2009
Last friday I started my ammonia fishless cylce after letting water set for two days with HOB running. Today on Monday I tested for nitrite for first time not thinking any would show yet . It showed amost 2.0ppm? I did not seed tank as fishstore would not share. I did use eco-complete as I plan on ad ding plants this week. I used API test kit. tested twice incase I messed up. Seems to soon of nitrite showing. Any ideas what happen?
According the the manufacturer, it contains live bacteria that may jump-start the nitrogen cycle:

CaribSea Planted Aquarium | Eco-Complete Planted | Eco-Complete Red | Floramax

As for your fish store not sharing, find another one if you can. That's just bunk that they'd refuse to help someone get established. Where I used to live if you bought a piece of their driftwood, the owner would put it in one of his display tanks for you to get it started. He'd also run any filter you bought from him on one of his cichlid tanks to seed the filter for you (or just put your pad in the back of one of his tanks). You could also buy a cup of used gravel for $1 to start your tank. He did this for fresh and saltwater tanks.

There ARE good stores out there, but you have to look hard sometimes.

BTW - Congrats on your decision to get the water ready for fish with the fishless cycle. Much more humane!

Last edited: