Cheap DIY filter media?

fiddlybits

Medium Fish
Jan 15, 2010
BC, Canada
Has anyone tried using polyester quilt-batting (stuffing) to make the filter-media bags?

I have a Whisper hang-on-back filter. Its tank has 2 parts, the intake pump in the first part, and the filters in the second part. The main filter is a bag of what looks like stuffing, with a plastic frame inside, and a tablespoon of charcoal. This slides down across the middle of that part of the tank, then between it and the outlet is a frame holding open-cell foam.

The batting isn't as stiff as what I've seen for DIY filters at the LFS, but it's sure a lot cheaper. It would be so easy to sew bags out of the batting, slide the frame in, add a tablespoon of charcoal, clip it shut, rinse it in de-chlorinated water to get rid of the charcoal dust, and it's ready to use.

Opinions please?

Feb 27, 2009
Has anyone tried using polyester quilt-batting (stuffing) to make the filter-media bags?

I have a Whisper hang-on-back filter. Its tank has 2 parts, the intake pump in the first part, and the filters in the second part. The main filter is a bag of what looks like stuffing, with a plastic frame inside, and a tablespoon of charcoal. This slides down across the middle of that part of the tank, then between it and the outlet is a frame holding open-cell foam.

The batting isn't as stiff as what I've seen for DIY filters at the LFS, but it's sure a lot cheaper. It would be so easy to sew bags out of the batting, slide the frame in, add a tablespoon of charcoal, clip it shut, rinse it in de-chlorinated water to get rid of the charcoal dust, and it's ready to use.

Opinions please?

Yes, you can make filter media bags as you described. Rather that sew them, some wrap it around the stiff frame and secure it with a few rubber bands. You can also reuse the one you have unless its completely falling apart. Just rinse it in the water you are taking out for a water change so you don't destroy the bacteria colony living there.

Curious, why are you using charcoal? Unless you need to remove medication or tannins, there is really no need to bother with it. Charcoal adsorbs (as opposed to absorbs) all it can quickly, usually within a day or so of being used.

fiddlybits

Medium Fish
Jan 15, 2010
BC, Canada
I am using charcoal because that was how the original filter was set up. So you are saying I don't need to use charcoal all the time?

The stuffing bags are folded at the bottom, and sewn on the sides with a serger, making a neat secure seam. This makes the bag almost identical in size to the factory product.

This tank is a 10-gallon and has growing fry that eventually lead to overstocking, until I choose who stays. I have to clean it often. The filter gets so much brown growth on it that it plugs up if not replaced in time. Cleaning the open-cell foam isn't a problem, I just scrunch and rinse it in used tank-water until I don't see any more clumps in it.

I have Water Sprite at one end and a few Anacharis/Elodea sprigs that I hope will grow at the other end. Small gravel about an inch deep on the bottom. One resin tank-ornament, and one ceramic tank-ornament that are decorated with plastic plants. A 50-watt heater, and a 10-gallon size Whisper filter.

I don't have room for a larger tank, or any additional tanks.

Tank population:
two mature Pepper Corys
one mature Neon Tetra
one male, and two female mature Platys
six 3-month juvenile Platys..... will probably keep 3 but have not decided which ones yet.

They are fed Tropical flake, Spirulina tablets, cucumber slices, and occasionally frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp, crushed Betta pellets, Hermit-crab variety flakes, a crushed frozen pea, and when available any fruit-flies I can catch.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
I am using charcoal because that was how the original filter was set up. So you are saying I don't need to use charcoal all the time?
There is no need to use charcoal unless you want to remove medication or tannins.

The filter gets so much brown growth on it that it plugs up if not replaced in time. Cleaning the open-cell foam isn't a problem, I just scrunch and rinse it in used tank-water until I don't see any more clumps in it.
Replacing the filter pad will destroy a large portion of you beneficial bacteria. One pad should last a long time. It will never 'look clean' like new, because the bacteria living there has the brown color. If it get too much growth, you might try rinsing it used tank-water more often. If you do want to replace it, its better then to have two in place, and replace only one at a time.

What are your readings of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Tank population:
two mature Pepper Corys
one mature Neon Tetra
one male, and two female mature Platys
six 3-month juvenile Platys..... will probably keep 3 but have not decided which ones yet.
At 2 cory cats, 1 neon tetra and 6 platy, the tank is a bit over stocked.

Both the cory and the tetra should be kept in larger groups (4 or 5) as they are schooling fish, but you don't have room for them with the platy fish. Livebearers like platies will quickly overpopulate a tank your size and if you don't have room for another tank, you might want to consider where you will put the fry.

fiddlybits

Medium Fish
Jan 15, 2010
BC, Canada
Yes my tank is overstocked, which means more maintenance, and I'm ok with that as long as they are healthy. The single neon is old, and there's no point in moving him now. Currently there are nine Platys, six of them are juveniles. I'll soon remove 3-4 of the juveniles.

The batting is 100% polyester, and after sewing the new filter-bags, I put them all into a net and rinse them thoroughly with hot tap-water. After drying, I put them in a clean bag to wait their turn.

I bought a 20-oz carton of activated carbon/ammonia remover about 16 months ago and there is still 1/3 carton left, so I'm not using much in each filter, just a level tablespoonful. Should I keep using it because of the ammonia-remover? Or get some separate ammonia-remover without charcoal?

When I've had the water tested, every month or so, the results are good. I put a capful of plant food in with the weekly new water. New water is treated with Cycle and Aqua-Plus.

I forgot to mention the snails... Malaysian Trumpet Snails live in the gravel (when they get too numerous I take a bunch of them to the LFS), and Pond-snails that go everywhere else underwater. They like to chew on the Water-Sprite, sometimes cutting the stems off above the root. Spare Pond-snails are fed to the fish. I suppose the snails add to the ammonia levels too.

fiddlybits

Medium Fish
Jan 15, 2010
BC, Canada
About the bacteria clony in the batting filter, I give it a head-start. While cleaning the fish tank, the old and new filters wait together in a small bucket of old tank-water until the tank is done. Then I put the new filter in place, AND a chunk is cut off the old filter that is full of culture, and the piece is tucked in beside the new filter, on the 'incoming' side.

It's not long before the new filter is populated. The bacteria colony eventually chokes off the flow of water thru the filter. Rinsing it to re-use it is impossible. The cost of factory-made replacement filters led to this DIY idea. The cost of home-made filter bags is about ten cents each, and the plastic frame inserts last for years if handled carefully.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; I have been using 100% polyester for several years as filter media. My last batch was sold as Buffalo snow at big lots a few years ago. I have tried several methods to fit it into my filters. It works best in my ancient bubble up filters. There is a tube like material sold at home improvment stores that is made to slide over the outside of 4 inch perforated drainage pipes which go into the ground. (It goes over the pipe like a sock to prevent roots and silt from clogging up the drain pipe.) It comes in 50 foot rolls. I have made filter media bags from sections cut to length and sewing one end closed. They eventually become clogged but are cheap enough. I may someday try them as bags to hold peat if I get around to trying killi fish again.
I also sewed up some media bags to fit in a power filter from the plastic coated nylon window screening material. ( I need to make some more as I now have a newer power filter with different sized inserts.)
I have used the bags from the boil in a bag quick rice.
On the charcoal; I used to rinse mine and then bake it in an oven for a while. I then would reuse it. Even if the adsorption property is soon done , the charcoal is porous and will provide filtration. I used to put a layer of glass marbles in the bottom of a filter, then a layer of charcoal (in a bag is easier to handle) and then a layer of polyester. the polyester would clogg up and need replacement several times before the charcoal and the marbles could go for quite a long time before getting junked up. ( I guess the marbles and charcoal were also home to beneficial bacteria cultures. )

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; About the pot scrubbers. I have a box of new scotch brite pot scrubbers that are big enough to fit in my power filter with some trimming. I have considered using one as filter medium, but dont know if they are safe. Has anyone tried this yet and what were the results?
A couple of years ago I bought some blue plastic cut your own furnace filter material at home depot. I cut it into small pads and tried it in a QT. It did not cause any problems so I made some for a main tank. Still no problems untill much later when it began to fall apart. It did not harm fish or plants but was too fragile over time. I stopped the use. I got lucky with that experiment.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I went out to get pot scrubbers for my tank, but couldn't find anything. What I ended up getting was a few "bath poofs" and unravelling them. I think I have three in my canister.

That's what they looked like.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
the white ones are safe, just read the packaging. I have used them before.

I haev also used wadded up batting and just jammed it into a whisper when i was in a pinch (im not much for changing media)

Another option would be to change to a filter that doesn't require that the media be changed. Depending on what sized filter you need this could cost you 30-70 today but no more filter issues.

Aquaclear uses a sponge in it's filter, just this big rectangle plastic sponge. They last for about 5 years. you just wash it out and presto good to go. The set up comes with a carbon bag that you can add as needed, and the white ceramic chips that help build a benificial bacteria base. Honestly tho i just use the sponge I haev a whole box of the carbon and ceramic chips sitting unused in my basement.

a PLASTIC sponge (not the soft rubbery type) will also work in the whisper and tetra filters, you just trim it once and use it till it's falling apart (well over a year) again make sure it's not treated, I like the ones in automotive that are for washing your car. just wash the sponge out when you change the water in the dirty fish water bucket