Oto Death

Nov 5, 2009
CT
i just had both of my oto's die within a week of each other:confused:. they both lasted for months and i havn't really changed anything dramatically in the tank. the only thing i can think of is i dropped the feedings down to once a day. but they didn't even eat that kind of flake food. any ideas as to why this happened and what can i do in the future to prevent this?

Feb 27, 2009
Is this the same 5 gallon tank that has the 'tipsy cory'?

Otos don't eat flake food. They only eat algae and can be supplemented with vegatables if they will eat them.

It is likely that it starved to death or fell to the affects of the water conditions. They need exceptionally clean water to stay alive.

They also are captured/transported from the wild in ways that is extremely stressful and often die days or months after being in captivity.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Yes. They are caught using cyanide fishing, where high concentrations of poisonous cyanide are poured into their habitat to stun the fish and make them easier to catch.
I agree that it starved to death.
Otos need a diet of blanched (boiled) vegetables and algae. They are a fish that must be overfed or they will die.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
A couple, barely visible spots of algae isn't even enough to keep an oto fed for one single day. Also, sometimes they won't even eat algae off the glass, just the tank decorations. They need to be fed at night when the lights are off. Try different vegetables like zucchini, broccoli, etc. to see what they like, but they should eat it if they are fed at night.

Feb 27, 2009
Mine eat veggies in broad daylight when offered. I guess everyone's fish pals are different, but mine are very active during the day. They were spawning during dinner-time for me (5-6pmish).

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
i see two different oto behaviours since I have otos in two tanks. in one they eat all day and night in the larger tank where I have even more otos they don't do anything until night time. every fixh and tank is different :)

try feeding blanched spinach at night.

Nov 5, 2009
CT
ok tomorrow i guess i'm gonna go pick up another oto. should i start with 1 or go right to 2 again? and should i buy one of those veggie clip things or is there some homemade way i can keep it from floating around the tank?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I have to differ on the pairs thing. my 2 otos in my 10 gallon tank are doing great :)

But normally a 10 gallon can actually support 5 otos and a *few* other fish. 5 is a better number by all means.

Jan 7, 2010
Starved for sure.

My otos are giant fans of Blanched Zucchini. They will om nom nom nom on it all day. Usually the blanched vegetable will sink, But vegetable clips are always an option in case you want it to stay in one spot.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Mine love blanched broccoli. Boil the veggies for a while if they don't sink. And don't feed them iceberg lettuce. It has almost no nutritional value. Romaine is better.

@Doomhed: That's a really interesting tidbit. I had a couple otos die mysteriously last week. I've had them for months. Water parameters are fine and they were not starved. I believe I have a few copper pipes in my house that could be the culprit.