Fire Eel Help!

Feb 24, 2010
Hello. I've had my fire eel for about 4 months now and he has been fine the whole time. He eat all the time and seemed healthy. Well that was up untill last night. At first he was out and about which is not normal cause he's allways normaly hiding. He was swiming at the top of the water. Now by the next morning he seems very weak. He is laying on his side some times. I can put my hands in the tank and pretty much hold him if i wanted to, normaly he would swim away at a fast pace. He also has a white powder like color on his skin starting from his tail. My sucker fish was attacking him and like sucking on his body and cause he was so weak he couldn't get away. I dunno if the sucker fish did this to him or not. As of right now the sucker fish is outta the tank and in my african clawed frog tank. Does anyone know what might be wronge and what can i do to maybe save my fire eel?

Feb 24, 2010
It's a 40. and i tested everything and all levels are good. I do a 15-20% weekly. Everyone else in the tank is doing fine. I don't think he is gonna make in to tomorrow. He is even more so white now. And he's just laying there breathing hard. I would take a video of him and put it on youtube if that will help with anyone trying to help me save him.

Feb 27, 2009
I would do more frequent water changes and raise the temperature a bit and add an airstone for more surface aggitation.

Without specific readings, it will be hard to tell what is going on with the water parameters, if anything.

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
the "white powder like color" could be ick or a fungus or just him losing color.

what type of algae eater do you have? a chinese algae eater could easily sneak up on your eel at night and bite off scales.

try raising the aquarium temp to 80 and adding a little aquarium salt to the tank Via the filter, that should help

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
the "white powder like color" could be ick or a fungus or just him losing color.

what type of algae eater do you have? a chinese algae eater could easily sneak up on your eel at night and bite off scales.

try raising the aquarium temp to 80 and adding a little aquarium salt to the tank Via the filter, that should help
Could also be velvet from the description. I wouldn't suggest using any treatment until we know exactly what's going on, however.

But, as already said, specific parameters would be a big help.