green algae bloom

Nov 5, 2009
CT
came home from my dads house and my tank was super green. couldnt see anything in the tank. i thought i was a goner but it turns out i only lost 1 tetra. i did a HUGE water change and its back to normal but what can i do to keep this from happening in the future?

here's what it looked like after changing 1 gallon

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
green water not regular diatoms. do a black out of the tank for a week with regular large water changes to remove the algae spores. otherwise the algae will prevail.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
The green water is most likely from having your tank so overstocked. You will most likely struggle with this problem until you buy another tank. As an example, my friend has an incredibly overstocked fish tank. (I've told her multiple times to get rid of some fish.) For months, she has been changing the water biweekly and doing blackouts, and she still has green water. A blackout might not clear it up. It depends.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
not always. my 40 gallon is very overstocked yet I've never had green or even cloudy water...
But do not disagree. overstocking would definitely contribute to the issue.

Feb 27, 2009
But do not disagree. overstocking would definitely contribute to the issue.
I don't think its overstocking alone, but overstocking and NOT doing proper water changes that would be needed due to the bioload.

The fact that you have not seen it in your overstocked tank, Newman, is *thumbsup2 on your fishkeeping abilities!

Nov 5, 2009
CT
I don't think its overstocking alone, but overstocking and NOT doing proper water changes that would be needed due to the bioload. QUOTE]

which brings me to my next question: how often would you guys recommend i do water changes? i'v been doing about 30% of the water once a week (although i'l admit that on the green water day it was a few days overdue)

Nov 5, 2009
CT
while i have you all here i'v been meaning to ask how often do you guys think i should be feeding? the instructions on the food says small feeding 3 times a day but other places say only once a day, 2 at the most.