SAE vs flying fox?

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Umm, I'm a total idiot, and quite embarrassed. I think I've mistakenly called one of my fish an oto for a long time. I'm too horrified at my ignorance to go into details about why this happened, and have a wicked head cold so can't think properly. Could someone give me a quick rundown on the differences between otocinclus, Siamese algae eaters, and flying foxes?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
lol first of all the most striking difference is that otos are way smaller than the other two, and otos have a sucker mouth. The habit of an oto is way different than the others. otocinclus will stick to glass using its sucker mouth. the other two cant since they dont have sucker mouths.

Now differences between SAE and FF are much more subtle.
Physical/behavioral differences follow:
SAE has 2 barbels/FF has 2 pairs of barbels
SAE has a black serrated line going all the way through tail/ FF does not.
FF's black line is straight and not serrated.
SAE will rest on their fins/FF will rest on the belly
SAE will school when young/ FF tend to be solitary
SAE will get aggressive with its own species/ FF will get aggressive with everything.
SAE will eat all sorts of algae and any commercial food/ FF will eat mostly commercial food.

Feb 27, 2009

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
lol first of all the most striking difference is that otos are way smaller than the other two, and otos have a sucker mouth. .
Yeah, I've figured that one out, but thanks for giving me the 100%! Here's the explanation FWIW: when I first started my tank last year after a fifteen year hiatus, lots of advice about stocking had changed - I just followed my LFS's advice about a 'clean-up' crew that included both otos and SAEs. Over the following months, all except one did pass because I was a bad aquarist. I feel horrid even admitting this.
But the one that remains I somehow titled an oto, even though he clearly is not, and I believe is a true SAE.

MEng

Small Fish
Sep 3, 2009
great
now this thread has me questioning my flying fox's identity
i tried taking pics but after 20 tries these are the best i could get...

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
haha, well a FF is deemed aggressive by many people as well, so it can still be either one. though that thing's color is so washed out it is impossible to tell. this was taken at night right? try taking a pic during the day when the colors are normal.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
darn... a clear shot of the tail would have really helped. just tell us, is the black stripe that runs through it's body going all the way through the tail fin too? if it is then you have an SAE. if it does not go through the tail FIN part then you have a FF.