Favorite/Least Favorite Food?

MEng

Small Fish
Sep 3, 2009
what is the favorite or least favorite food of your fish?

my fish go nuts for the topfin freeze dried blood worms but they hate the tetramin tropical granules "the rich mix"

also
has anyone ever fed their fish maggots?
i tried it tonight and they seemed to pick at them a little, one tetra actually picked one up and carried it around for a while.

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
my betta likes hakari goldfish baby bites, but dislikes flakes.

in my living room, the angel seems to avoid red flakes and only eats yellow and green ones from the flake food I feed the tank. My loaches prefer the red ones it seems, so they dont mind cleaning up.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
My fish love frozen bloodworms, and kinda don't like blanched broccoli...
If you're asking what I like to feed, then I like to feed Spirulina 20 flakes to my fish and hate to feed any Wardley brand food...

Dec 20, 2009
Canada
My fish don't seem to be very picky eaters, they will eat just about anything. I have right now HBH Tropical colour, and my LFS has it own no name blood worms they also like. The other day I came home and they were trying to eat a ladybug that some how fell into the tank, but it was too big lol.

xarumitzu

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2009
Kalamazoo, MI
My fish don't seem to be very picky eaters, they will eat just about anything. I have right now HBH Tropical colour, and my LFS has it own no name blood worms they also like. The other day I came home and they were trying to eat a ladybug that some how fell into the tank, but it was too big lol.
I had something similar happen in my tank at school. I had a bumblebee catfish at one point (he has since been re-homed) and one day came home to find a beetle had fallen in. The tetras started picking at it and it sank down a bit. Out of nowhere the bumblebee swims in and ate the whole thing. I didn't know it could open it's mouth that wide hehe

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I'm with Newman about the Wardley products *shudder*.

My betta kids LOVE frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. They also like HBH Color Bright flakes and the TetraMin tropical color flakes. They refuse to eat pellets, though. The platies, guppies and neons will eat pretty much anything, and the cories, kuhlies and USD cat clean up whatever is leftover. My otos like zucchini sometimes, but not usually (usually the USD cat and cories end up munching on it...and every once in a while I catch a female betta sneaking a bite).

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
For the first time I introduced a piece of yellow bell pepper to my tank. We'll see what happens.
I avoid peppers when i have albino fishes in the tank, the small amount of capsicum in the peppers can irritate their delicate skins and give them burn marks. If your albino pleco has dark spots in the next few days he got burned.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
I avoid peppers when i have albino fishes in the tank, the small amount of capsicum in the peppers can irritate their delicate skins and give them burn marks. If your albino pleco has dark spots in the next few days he got burned.
Oh, that's really good to know, thanks! So far he looks okay, will keep a close watch.
The pepper was totally demolished this morning, other than the peel. Someone liked it.

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
usually they are a little better. when you make them you scrape out the seeds and white stuff on the inside of the "meat" of the pepper and take off the skin (which is full of dangerous oils).

my spiny plecos would destroy skinned green peppers. When I was breeding them I would go through 1 pepper, a cucumber, a summer squash and about 1/2 lb of peapods a week. Mind you, this was 2x 8 inch plecos in a 40 gallon "Breeder" with 82 degree water.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I don't like the NutraFin stuff. Sometimes makes my fish's poops look funny lol, but my fish seem to like it. Once I gave my fish some chicken, they LOVED that lol (it was for thanks giving haha). Also since I got my betta imbellis, I gave them (the fish in my 20) some of the BettaMin food that I have for the imbellis- Did they EVER like THAT! The harlies (who hardly ever come up for food, they like eating the stuff that floats by them) were even zipping up to get their share. Feeding them betta food isn't bad for them, is it? I'm not gonna give it to them in gigantic proportions or anything, just as a treat. The betta imbellis ain't too crazy over it though, but I guess they are just getting used to their new home, new food, blah blah blah.
One more question!: I have some old shrimp pellets left in my "fish-supply" drawer- they're probably 3 years old. Are they still OK for my fish to eat, or no? They stink to high heaven... yuck