i'm pretty sure i already know the answer...

Nov 5, 2009
CT
lets see if you guys can help me identify these. dont worry the water is not really that color its just what the light does to the camera.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
That's a golden apple snail - I love them, they are interesting to watch, not sure if they are good for your small tank though, as mentioned above.
And I believe that plant is a stem of an anacharis. Apparently they don't root well.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
The image won't load for me, but let's assume it's a sprig of anacharis. You can use fishing line and gently attach it to a piece of rock around the middle. Do not tie it tightly or you will cut off the circulation. After a while, it should grow roots. I'm getting about 100 sprigs in the mail soon, so I have been reading up on it. :)

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
just keep up with water changes, anacharis likes clean water.

the snail is a good "canary" for the tank. if he hides in his shell for a day, it means the water is funky and needs to be changed/tested.

thats why I recommend them for small tanks, they are worth the bioload.

Nov 5, 2009
CT
golden apple snails = poop machines. almost as bad as a goldfish in my experience. but its up to you.
as you say that i see my snail pooping. lol. but ya.

i loosely yet securely attached the plant thing to a decoration. hopefully it'l keep growing.

the betta seems infinitely happier today. swimming around and being just generally more active. no signs of aggression either from him or any others towards him. i think this was definitely a good move.

wen i fed the tetras last night i noticed the betta eating the flakes. will these do for him or should i still try to get him his food?

and now i'v got this empty bowl i'd like to do something with. is it good for anything fishy?

EDIT: i may have spoken too soon about betta aggression. he just went after the snail. what should i do?

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
lol he's not gonna kill the snail. he is likely wanting some protein so do make sure he gets his own food.

My bettas in my 40 gallon community do eat the Spirulina flakes that I feed the whole tank in the morning, but still I feed them their pellets in the evening because I do not believe that a diet of just one type of flake will cover their nutrition. or that reason I will still urge you to feed the betta his own food.

Nov 5, 2009
CT
lol he's not gonna kill the snail. he is likely wanting some protein so do make sure he gets his own food.

My bettas in my 40 gallon community do eat the Spirulina flakes that I feed the whole tank in the morning, but still I feed them their pellets in the evening because I do not believe that a diet of just one type of flake will cover their nutrition. or that reason I will still urge you to feed the betta his own food.
sounds good. i kinda panicked wen i saw that. put the snail in the bowl. lol. back in the tank he goes:)

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I doubt the betta killed or injured the snail. I've had snails in with my male and female bettas and after the initial "What the heck are you?" phase, they completely ignore the snail (except my girls did have a black mystery snail in their tank that they LOVED to flip on its back).

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
no idea why it happened other than pH shock. maybe the pH from the store was way different that your tank?

those snails btw do not like tropical temperatures or low pH. they are much more active at a pH of above 7 and a temp of below 75F.

Nov 5, 2009
CT
no idea why it happened other than pH shock. maybe the pH from the store was way different that your tank?

those snails btw do not like tropical temperatures or low pH. they are much more active at a pH of above 7 and a temp of below 75F.
this sounds the most plausible. my ph is almost always above 7 but i keep the tank around between 78 and 80.

is there a different kind of snail better suited to my tank than will do the same algae eatification?

What are the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in the tank? Also GH and KH?

Was the shell showing any signs of pitting?
what do you mean by pitting?

Last edited: