little white worms

fishrookie

Small Fish
May 1, 2008
just cleaned out tank and noticed little white squiggly worms swimming all over the place. I am guessing this is not good... What do I do?

We did recently (within the last two weeks) have two deaths. one catfish that was missing eyeballs and a pleco that looked really bloated. Am I overfeeding?

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
if not planaria then they could be nematodes. those also thrive on rotting organic matter. both worms are harmless to fish and actually provide a food source to omnivorous fish.

fishrookie

Small Fish
May 1, 2008
Thanks. I did mean siphon the gravel to clean up debris and remove approximately 20% of water when I said "clean the tank." I haven't seen any worms since I first posted...don't know if they stay hidden though.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Thanks. I did mean siphon the gravel to clean up debris and remove approximately 20% of water when I said "clean the tank." I haven't seen any worms since I first posted...don't know if they stay hidden though.
What they do is they come out at night when the lights are off. the worms are mostly nocturnal.

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
You don't need to clean out the tank every day unless the tank is still cycling.
Also, feed your fish once a day, every day for only 6 days. Do not feed them on one day of the week.
I actually feed fish food for 5 days and vegetables for the other 2 days. only vegetables. I never thought I would see an angel fish tear up a zucchini like it was going out of style, but he did.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
I had leftover butter lettuce from a dinner party - otherwise would have used the spinach I had in the crisper. Switched the lettuce for the spinach, but either way, my angels, loaches, gouramis and BN pleco tore into both ;)
Thanks littletank for the backup suggestion. I live in rainy Vancouver, so am not usually homebound, except if I'm just lazy ;)
Hey! Another fish/people recipe idea? Who wants to post about what they do with romaine lettuce????