i'm pretty sure i already know the answer...

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
I have three zebra snails, and my tank is usually pH around 7, and temp above 80F, zebras have been fine since first introduced ten months ago. And I didn't realize that golden apple snails were happier with a lower temp and higher pH - that probably explains why two I tried over the past few months didn't last long . . . gawd, I feel awful now :(

And by 'pitted' I'd think that OC means does the shell of the snail look like it has been worn through in tiny holes all over . . .

Nov 5, 2009
CT
ok i went to petco to see if they had any nerite snails and all they had were mystery (apple right?) snails so i picked up a black one. in case it was the heat that killed the last one i turned the heat down to 76. is there anything special i should be feeding him or is he pretty self sufficient? i also read somewhere out there that i need to keep the water at least 2 inches below the lid of the tank or the snail will die because it can't get any air. is this accurate?

i also picked up a live plant that needs identification. i'd take a picture of the snail but he's chillin in this log decoration i have.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I'm afraid...I'm afraid to tell you this but...you have algae. LOL The black ones are jsut the same. he should be fine if you give him a fresh vegetable every week to eat. basically w/e plecos will eat it will eat as well. It will eat leftover food from the fish as well. If you ever need to get another snail try looking for the nerite varieties. fish-only stores are bound to have some. you can most certainly get the online at places like invertz factory.

Nov 5, 2009
CT
I'm afraid...I'm afraid to tell you this but...you have algae. LOL The black ones are jsut the same. he should be fine if you give him a fresh vegetable every week to eat. basically w/e plecos will eat it will eat as well. It will eat leftover food from the fish as well. If you ever need to get another snail try looking for the nerite varieties. fish-only stores are bound to have some. you can most certainly get the online at places like invertz factory.
rofl. ya the algae is one of the reasons i got him. lol,

is that a good plant for my tank?

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
That plant is actually a true aquatic plant. "Creeping Jenny" is it's common name (Lysimachia nummularia). It's a relatively slow growing stem plant. Your algae is diatoms, not really a true algae, but one that creeps up in new tanks. It will eventually go away, sometimes not soon enough. Otocinclus catfish love eating it and 3-4 can likely clean your tank in two days. They are pretty common, love very clean and highly oxygenated water. They do not tolerate ammonia or nitrites well at all.

Nov 5, 2009
CT
That plant is actually a true aquatic plant. "Creeping Jenny" is it's common name (Lysimachia nummularia). It's a relatively slow growing stem plant. Your algae is diatoms, not really a true algae, but one that creeps up in new tanks. It will eventually go away, sometimes not soon enough. Otocinclus catfish love eating it and 3-4 can likely clean your tank in two days. They are pretty common, love very clean and highly oxygenated water. They do not tolerate ammonia or nitrites well at all.
i used to have 2 but they both died within a week of each other from apparent starvation. i did like them and they did keep the tank very clean. i'd be interested in attempting to keep 1 or 2 again if you guys think it would be possible in my incredibly overstocked tank but "i'm pretty sure i already know the answer". rofl:D

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
There is nothing wrong with keeping a couple oto's in a 5 gallon tank. I suspect the overstocking part would be. I would also suspect you have trace amounts of ammonia and nitrites in your tank due to overstocking, and oto's don't like that.