bala shark

Jan 8, 2009
Richmond,Va
Yes indeed,bala sharks are infact a species of carp.Hailing from the Cyprinidae family.(also relatives to barbs, and true minnows. And a shoal of 5-6 balas would require a 150+ gallon to keep those guys happy.(My opinion)As they mature:any thing less would cramp there style.

Last edited:

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
Completely agree on the above posts- they're active fish and need the tank to be long enough to accomodate their movements. In addition, they are very sensitive to water quality, so if they are kept in a large tank, it would require some fairly extensive filtration to keep the water up to par.

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
ive kept balas in the past in my 55g and that was WAY to small. too large and too active. (i mainly had 1 in there for a year plus) i had to remove mine and give away because he was hurting himself and destroying things with taking off and getting spooked.

in wise of water conditions though mine survived a wide variety (as it changed with ammonia spikes, algae blooms, and variances in temperatures from 70-84 also with ich) and some stress so i wouldnt say they are completely sensitive but this is my own experience and everyones experience varies.