plans for a 45g

May 3, 2010
VA
hello all,

for about 2-3 years now I've been maintaining a planted 20g high tank stocked with 5 panda cories, a honey gourami, and 6-7 tetras of which I don't know which species.

I'm starting this thread because I've had an empty 40-45g tank sitting in my laundry room for about 5 months now and I've finally found some time to set it up, but i have no idea what to stock it with. also I'm at a loss of how i could start up this 40g and keep my current fish because i don't have enough space to keep both tanks running at once.

so ... yeah if any of you guys could help me, that would be awesome.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Okay, hockey is over, I can pay attention now.
Let's start with getting the 40g up and running for the fish you currently have, and look at new stocking ideas after.
Depending on your substrate, filter, other details, I can't necessarily give you an accurate step-by-step specific to your setup, but here's a basic plan. Adjust as needed or let us know if you foresee any obstacles to these suggestions.
First, since you can't have both tanks running at the same time, you want to ensure your fish are as comfortable as possible while they are in transition. This means having a large container that they can be housed in, with their existing tank water, and some heat and aeration. Maybe you can put your heater in that container with them, along with a running airstone. Second, you want to preserve as much of the good stuff already in your 20g so you don't go through a cycle when you set up your 40g. That means having enough buckets to keep most if not all of the 20g's water. Plus you will want to move your existing gravel, full of the good bacteria, into the new tank without washing it or letting it dry completely. Also, don't rinse your filter media - it, too, is full of good bacteria.
Once the fish are out of the 20g, the filter is turned off and the heater moved to the fish bucket, and the tank water is reserved, move the 40g into position (you have cleaned it appropriately well before!!!) and scoop the wet gravel into it. Set up whatever decor you have and the filter, unplugged. Then add a bucket or two of the old water into the tank, and if you have live plants, arrange them. Then add another couple more buckets of the old water.
Meanwhile, you should have some tap water at the right temp (or higher) and treat with water conditioner like Prime. Add to the tank, and if water level is high enough, start the filter. Let run for a couple hours to get rid of the stirred up sediment. Then move the heater from the fish bucket to the tank, and maybe either keep the fish bucket well covered so the temp doesn't drop while the new tank water reaches the proper temp, or have put warmer water in the 40g to begin with - you don't want the fish to go through a massive temperature change. Finally, introduce your fish to the new tank with their fish bucket water, and if needed, top up with more treated water.
Now I need to go sulk because the Canucks lost. Good luck with your move and please don't hesitate to ask lots and lots of questions about anything here - this is a great forum with lots of experienced people who want to see you and your fish thrive!

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
lauraf got it spot on, just like to ask what type of filter you have? Provided your current filter is sufficient to filter the new tank you should be able to to the switch without doing a cycle. Remember as lauraf said not to clean your filter before putting it in or rinse your gravel, however dirty it may look at first it WILL settle, you'll just end up killing good bacteria if you clean it.

If your filter isn't big enough, you can avoid a cycle by getting a new filter and not adding any new fish until it's 'caught up' shall we say. Your current filter can cope with your current stocking so you can run both filters at the same time until the other filter can cope (a good test is taking the old filter out overnight and checking ammonia/nitrite/nitrate the next day to see if there is a change) or alternatively, if you're using a filter cartridge, simply putting this in the new filter with the media in there to allow the bacteria to colonise the new media.

As for stocking, with your current list you could get a small pleco (bristlenose, rubberlip and bulldog plecos all work well for this size tank). You could get a shoal of ruby barbs )much more peaceful than tigerbarbs) to have another different shoal of fish to your tetras. Bolivian rams would be nice as a centrepiece, as would keyhole cichlids (I know another forum member, unwritten law, keeps keyholes in a 46 gallon). A few loaches would be nice if you wanted, yoyo loaches or the smaller chain loach would work well. It will depends what you want to see in there, have you had any ideas? They're just a few suggestions based on my own personal taste :)

Good luck with the move and keep us updated, and welcome to the forum :)

May 3, 2010
VA
heh thanks for all the help guys, this is all still in the planning phase so i still have to get equipment, light hood, stand, etc. for the new tank. as for you're idea lauraf, it sounds good and ill probably do that to get it running. and thanks for the stocking recommendations misterking, although i know for a fact that i can't get a Bolivian ram, that was my original plan for my aquarium, but alas i couldn't ever find one in my area. beyond the rams though I'm pretty sure i can find all of those other fish.

another thing, i just measured the tank to be 30"w x 19"h x 12"w so the tank is actually 30 gallons, heh it looks like it would've held more i guess. would that effect any of your fish suggestions? I hope not, b/c for some reason I've always wanted to have a pleco. also i guess that'll make the switch between the two tanks 10g easier ...

and could you guys tell me how i can rename the thread so i can change it to 30g, thanks

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Well, you won't have to add a lot of extra treated water now. I think you would still be okay with a plec, but maybe choose an albino BN, because they stay even smaller than the regular bristlenoses . . . . Other centrepiece fish ideas - get another honey gourami or a pair of kribensis . . . .

May 3, 2010
VA
hmm I'm not sure for adding another gourami, mine has been quite territorial since I've gotten it and usually tries to prevent the tetras from eating etc. but thanks for the help regardless, i need to start seeing if i can find all these fish here, though I'm sure ill be able to find most of them, there are quite a few of aquarium specialty stores in my area, i really hope i can find a ram. another question i have is if i should replace my filter or get one better suited for the 30g? the one i have now is rated at 150 gallons per hour although it doesn't run as well as when i first got it, though only by a small bit.

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
hmm I'm not sure for adding another gourami, mine has been quite territorial since I've gotten it and usually tries to prevent the tetras from eating etc. but thanks for the help regardless, i need to start seeing if i can find all these fish here, though I'm sure ill be able to find most of them, there are quite a few of aquarium specialty stores in my area, i really hope i can find a ram. another question i have is if i should replace my filter or get one better suited for the 30g? the one i have now is rated at 150 gallons per hour although it doesn't run as well as when i first got it, though only by a small bit.
As far as I know that filter should do the trick perfectly. Remember to add any new fish slowly (a small amount of fish every couple of weeks until you've reached your stocking limit) to allow your filter to adapt, and test the water regularly. If you want to check your filter rating compared to tank size, have a look if it's listed on aqadvisor.com, put in the tank dimensions and fish you have/want. It'll give a pretty accurate analysis of how well you're tank is likely to work.

And good call on the extra gourami, they can be very territorial so I wouldn't suggest getting another. Kribensis are an interesting idea, quite a small cichlid with gorgeous colours in both males and females (actually one of the few fish where the female is the more colourful!).

May 3, 2010
VA
ok guys I've been searching and i found that my tetras are pristella tetras. and misterking, i tried the website, it recommended that i get a stronger filter, it was at 70% filtration capacity for 1 albino bn pleco, 1 honey gourami, 5 panda cories, 6 ruby barbs, and 6 pristella tetras. those fish also put the tank at capacity to 98%

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
I have found that a male/female pair of certain kinds of gouramis are great together, such as pearls - but fair enough, I'm not as familiar with honey gouramis.
And it is probably easier to add two gouramis at the same time anyway, rather than introduce one to a gourami already established in the territory.
But kribs are really cool if you can't find rams.

May 3, 2010
VA
ok guys, I think I've settled on what I want to stock my tank with. what I have so far is:

6 x pristella tetras (currently owned)
1 x honey gourami (currently owned)
5 x panda cories (currently owned)
1 x SAE (I have a bit of a beard algae problem so i thought i should include one)
6 x ruby barbs
1 x albino BN pleco

so does that sound good? any conflicts I missed or anything? also, can anyone recommend a good filter brand, preferably one that hangs on the back. and as always thanks for the advice.

Last edited: