30 Gallon Fish Tank Question

May 9, 2010
Alright, well I just got a free 30 Gallon Fish tank yesterday and the stand that it came with (They said they have used it previously) is a bit shorter than the tank...

BUT the tank isnt just the glass.. It has wood around the top and bottom of it (not just any ply wood).. It is like staind and professional looking. That's how they bought it from the pet store (not sure about the stand from same place)..
But would it be okay if it hangs off the stand a bit?

I have it filled with just water for now and it doesn't seem to be bowing or arching at all right now.

Here is a picture of one of the sides to show you.

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
oh wow i would definitely get something to support it across the whole way. you got to think that tank with water and everything weighs like a little under 300lbs. 8 something lbs per gallon. i wouldnt trust it and would get something to support all the way across. your going to be investing your own money. do you want to take that risk???????????? if its questionable then i wouldnt trust it. this is a far way to be stretching out off a stand. looks to be a good 6" and im assuming its doing that on the other side. over a period of time the water weight may be a little too much for the underneath glass to hold and could break. it will cause more stress on the seals i would imagine. im sure it will be fine right now but im betting in the near future it wouldnt be ok

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2010
vancouver bc
I'd be very carful if I were you because I put my fish tank on a dresser that was fully supporting the whole bottom and seemed level, but I could fit a piece of paper underneath, well i never thought anything of it untill 3 months down the road my 39 gallon fish tank was leaking all over my dresser from a blown seal on the bottom.

xarumitzu

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2009
Kalamazoo, MI
I'd be very carful if I were you because I put my fish tank on a dresser that was fully supporting the whole bottom and seemed level, but I could fit a piece of paper underneath, well i never thought anything of it untill 3 months down the road my 39 gallon fish tank was leaking all over my dresser from a blown seal on the bottom.
Ouch, sorry to hear about your tank. My 10G has been on that stand for almost a year now, but I'm definitely going to look into getting a bigger stand for it.

EDIT: Whoo! 100th post, no more Teenie Weenie Fish! </hijack thread>