Help! 3 of my cherry barbs have already died!

clanx

Small Fish
May 16, 2010
Hey guys, I need some help.. After a few weeks of fishless cycling, I finally went to get my fish. I bought a few guppies and cherry barbs. However, there seems to be something wrong as 3 of my cherry barbs have already died. I did notice a change of behavior though. They seem to listlessly stay at the bottom of the tank, and seem to drift to the side.

I checked out some symptoms on fish diseases and the closest possibility I came to was swim bladder problems, just that they didn't seem to have problems balancing, just problem staying afloat..

Can someone help me? :(

Feb 27, 2009
Please help us help you and your fish by answering a few questions.

What sized aquarium is this?

When you say you spent a few weeks doing a fishless cycle, does that mean you completed the nitrogen cycle?

What are you current readings for: ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

What are all the fish you have now? How many of each?

The symptoms you list do not sound like a swim bladder problem. It sounds more like ammonia or nitrite poisoning.

clanx

Small Fish
May 16, 2010
Hi orange,

Thanks for replying! It's a 50x30x30cm tank, that's 10 gallons I guess. Before I got my fishes, I did help a friend hold his barbs and tetras as his tank was having algae problems. During that period, there were zero casualties so I assumed my tank was safe to start rearing fishes.

I bought 4 guppies, 6 cherry barbs and 3 panda corys. I only had them for a day so I presumed they (the cherry barbs) weren't well acclimatised at all. The guppies and panda corys seem to be doing fine though..

And at the moment, I do not have a test kit to measure the nitrate levels sadly.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
How long were your friends fish in your tank for?

Do you have tests for ammonia and nitrite? If so, what are the readings? If not I would recommend that you get your water tested, either buy yourself a kit or ask a pet store to do it for you but make sure to get exact readings from them not just "it's good" (pet stores can't be trusted).

Feb 27, 2009
It doesn't sound like your tank is cycled and your fish are suffering from ammonia poisoning. They are not able to take in much oxygen while ammonia or nitrites are high, which is why they are sluggish and sitting on the bottom a lot.

Until the water can be tested, do a 50% water change daily with dechlorinated water, making sure the temperature of the 'new' water matches the aquarium's water.

What dechlorinator brand are you using?

clanx

Small Fish
May 16, 2010
Hey thanks for the replies,

@achase, I got them for 2 days now. They didn't even survive the 24 hours.. And yes, I'll get test kits from my LFS tonight and do a water change, any test kits brand to recommend?

@orange, Oh man, hearing this makes me want to rush home from work now.. I did not use any dechlorinator, but I heard leaving tap water out for 24 hours does dissipate the chlorine in it. That's what I did. It works right? Maybe I should get a dechlorinator and do an immediate water change tonight..

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Since you are going to the store anyway, buy a bottle of Prime, and use Prime as your water conditioner. It not only dechlorinates the water, it will also bind harmful ammonia. Your tank is going through a 'fish-in cycle' which means in order to keep your current fishies alive, you need to be pretty diligent for a couple of weeks at least, but Prime will help with the stress on your fish.
Do daily water changes of maybe 25%, dosing with Prime, (but start immediately with a 50% change as OrangeCones suggested) and test the water each day. You can report to us what the readings are for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and we'll make sure you tank is getting cycled properly.

Feb 27, 2009
I did not use any dechlorinator, but I heard leaving tap water out for 24 hours does dissipate the chlorine in it.
If your tap water only contains chlorine, you can usually dissipate it with strong aeration after 24-48 hours (running an airstone in the new water). However, a lot of water companies now use chloramine, which does not dissiapate (which is why they use it). It is chlorine and ammonia bound together, which is why its a good idea to use a dechlor like lauraf suggested. One like Prime (there are others) takes out the chlorine but also binds the ammonia that removing the chlorine leaves behind in your new water. You can also treat the whole tank's volume to try to bind the existing ammonia.

The test kit is really essential to keep your current stock alive. Once the numbers are known, we all can help steer you in the right direction :)

clanx

Small Fish
May 16, 2010
@lauraf, thanks bro. That seems to be very good advice. I'll be sure to do it when I get home.

@orange, yeah I just hope there won't be more casualties when I reach home..

What do you mean by "You can also treat the whole tank's volume to try to bind the existing ammonia. " Does this mean I can just add doses of Prime into my existing tank? Would it affect the fishes in the tank currently?

Last edited:

clanx

Small Fish
May 16, 2010
In the end, when I got back last night I was saddened to see 2 guppies and 1 of my panda cory dead.. I took my fishes out and passed it to a friend immediately.

Then I went down to the LFS. I was advised to clear all my water and get a dechlorinator, which I did.

Now the question is, I can't possibly bother my friend for a few weeks while I start a fishless cycle, is it possible if I did a fish-in cycle? Does this mean I have to do 10-15% water changes every 2-3 days? And is it really necessary to get a test kit to determine if my cycling is complete? I realised those were kinda out my budget last night when I dropped by the LFS..

Feb 27, 2009
Now the question is, I can't possibly bother my friend for a few weeks while I start a fishless cycle, is it possible if I did a fish-in cycle? Does this mean I have to do 10-15% water changes every 2-3 days? And is it really necessary to get a test kit to determine if my cycling is complete? I realised those were kinda out my budget last night when I dropped by the LFS..
It is possible to do a fish-in cycle but water testing is a must if you want the fish to survive it.

As far as 10-15% water changes every 2-3 days, that depends on your test results. If you test 1.0 or higher in ammonia or nitrite, then you must get it under 0.5 to be safer (lower is better of course).

If your friend has a good aquarium going, you may be able to get your biological filter started with the help of your friend. I have done this with several friends over the years.

See if you can put YOUR filter on/in THEIR tank for a few weeks (in addition to their own). Your filter will then get the good bacteria it needs established inside it. Then move your filter to your empty tank and stock lightly. If you can get a cup or two of their gravel at that time, it will also help.

Good luck!

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
To do a fish-in cycle you must have the test kits.
Are you saying that you have given all your remaining fish to your friend, or do you still have some in the tank? If so, any way you could give them back to the lfs and do a fishless-cycle?
Plus, if test kits are out of your budget right now, then you should find homes for your remaining fish until you can afford the test kits. Sorry if I sound all bossy, but you really do need to have the test kits not only for the cycling process, but also for when you do have fish in your tank again. You don't want to rely on your lfs evey time you need to check your water to make sure that you are doing water changes properly, or if you are wondering why a fish or four are acting all funny or dying.
It may seem boring to buy test kits first, and wait for the fish, but then when you do have fish you will be able to monitor their water so well that ideally you won't lose any because the water chemistry is out of whack.
I know this is going to suck for you to hear, but I really suggest that you wait until you can afford the liquid test kit. It will last you ages, and is well worth the knowledge it will give you about the environment your future fishies are going to be living in.
Anyway, my two cents.
Laura

clanx

Small Fish
May 16, 2010
Hey thanks for the replies,

I was just thinking of borrowing his tank space for awhile, I think by letting my fish stay in his tank, it's getting a little over crowded.. that's why I want to bring it back asap, in case his tank starts to have casualties as well. I have to bring them back by tomorrow night..

Thanks for the advice!

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
dont ever buy strips for testing though they are not accurate. go liquid.

also you did add 13 fish in a 10g at once. that can shoot the ammonia levels thru the roof. you should only add max of 5 fish a week and when starting off to be safe 5 every other week. adding that many at once, and not alone in a small tank, will give you all sorts of bad levels.

clanx

Small Fish
May 16, 2010
also you did add 13 fish in a 10g at once. that can shoot the ammonia levels thru the roof. you should only add max of 5 fish a week and when starting off to be safe 5 every other week. adding that many at once, and not alone in a small tank, will give you all sorts of bad levels.

That's true.. I never thought of this. Thanks for the advice, I'll think of something about my fishes..