Ammonia in my tap water

May 7, 2010
With all my problems with Ammonia in my 55 gallon tank now I find that I have .50ppm Ammonia in my tap water. I dont know if this is bad or not but as I am trying to get my levels all stable and ammonia is constantly high if this is a big part of my problem. I have since posting here last lost all 5 cherry barbs and 2 of my 4 black mollies. The 2 danios are still looking good as well as the gold platys. I have not added anymore yet since I cant seem to get this tank stabilized. Any more helpfull hints? Have tried the daily water changes I use a rock vac. I also use prime and stresszyme.

:(

May 7, 2010
All tap water has some ammonia in it. My husband looked it up last night and the norm is .2ppm in it. We have .5ppm. I suppose it depends on the city you live in. I bought my own liquid test kit. Not sure of the brand off the top of my head.

Feb 27, 2009
Any more helpfull hints? Have tried the daily water changes I use a rock vac. I also use prime and stresszyme.

:(
Using Prime will detoxify the ammonia, but the test kit will still say there is ammonia if it is a 'total ammonia' test (check the instructions to see for sure what it tests for). 'Free ammonia' is the toxic form and Prime will remove that from your water.

May 9, 2010
i have just started using the prime also. and you say your test kit will still show ammonia level is high. so how do u get a accurate reading of what the ammonia level is to be?
that is what is so confusing to me..
call your water company ( i had to) and i asked them I wanted to know how my city water is tested, and they gave me to the person i needed to talk to, and she told me and she also told me if any more problems to call her back and they would come to my house for free to test my water if i had any more problems

Feb 27, 2009
i have just started using the prime also. and you say your test kit will still show ammonia level is high. so how do u get a accurate reading of what the ammonia level is to be?
that is what is so confusing to me..
Your reading on the test kit will show TOTAL ammonia. If Prime or another similar water conditioner was used, it will convert the FREE ammonia to NON-TOXIC ammonia (FREE ammonia and NON-TOXIC ammonia added together make up TOTAL ammonia).

While the ammonia is in the NON-TOXIC form, it can't hurt your fish. It STILL needs to be converted to nitrite then to nitrate by the good bacteria in your tank. While in the NON-TOXIC form, its sort of like a 'holding spot' for the ammonia, waiting for the bacteria to consume it. While in the 'holding spot' it is not hurting your fish, but still needs to be consumed.

You know your tank is cycled when the readings for ammonia (TOTAL ammonia) and nitrite are zero, and nitrates are building up. When you get to 20ppm for nitrates, its time for a water change.

Feb 24, 2010
Great job explaining all of that orangecones! I had the same problem with one of mine tanks and then complicated it more with the wrong test strips. :/ Not fun........you can find ammonia multi-test kits that test free ammonia, total ammonia, or both. Once I learned that, I was really able to get things under control fast.

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
OrangeCones is exactly right about free and total Ammonia (NH3 & NH4).

Not all water contains Ammonia. Your water is most likely Cloraminated. That is a disinfection method where Chlorine and Ammonia is added at a 5:1 ratio. .5 ppm NH3 is about right. Chloraminated water is completely non-toxic to humans when drank, bad for fish.

Good advice on using PRIME. I think that's the best stuff there is.

stoddern

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2009
Vermont
in addition to what cones said make sure your water conditioner takes care of amonia and if you have live plants they will help lowwer the total lvls as will making sure you have a healthy bacteria count.