Cleaning a filter

clanx

Small Fish
May 16, 2010
I have a hang-on H-500 dolphin filter. (Power filter they call it I think)

I have it running on my tank for at least 2 weeks now. Already added fish stock and plants, they seem to be doing well. I'm just curious about how to go about cleaning my filter without destroying the good bacteria in there? It looks quite disgusting in there already, and I'm itching to clear it.

tim3d

Medium Fish
May 15, 2010
Montreal, quebec, canada
When you are doing a water change, rinse out the filter media in your used water, and put it back in the filter. *twirlysmi
Hi OC, that actually brings up a question. Which filter medias should be rinsed in the used water exactly? sponge? carbon? sorry for the noob moment here but... the small cylinders? (please tell me what they are lol.)

Also im assuming this is just reference to cleaning, not changing. As i was reading tht you should never change all media at once, that it should be done in staggered intervals in order to keep the bacteria and ecosystem healthy. care to fill me in a little more? Sorry for posting an extended question in your thread "clanx".

Feb 27, 2009
Hi OC, that actually brings up a question. Which filter medias should be rinsed in the used water exactly? sponge? carbon? sorry for the noob moment here but... the small cylinders? (please tell me what they are lol.)

Also im assuming this is just reference to cleaning, not changing. As i was reading tht you should never change all media at once, that it should be done in staggered intervals in order to keep the bacteria and ecosystem healthy. care to fill me in a little more? Sorry for posting an extended question in your thread "clanx".
All parts of any filter should be rinsed when there is enough buildup to slow the water flow down. There is no reason to 'change' or 'replace' any part of the filter (but that's what the filter manufacturer will tell you to do, so will the pet stores. Why? Because they make $ on that), unless its physically falling apart. When I ran canisters and hang-on-the-back power filters, I'd use the media in them for YEARS. When something did need replaced, yes, do a part only so you don't lose all your good bacteria.

Unless you are needing to remove medication from your aquarium's water, there is no reason to have carbon at all. Infact, carbon will adsorb (not absorb) all it can in just a day or two, then is inert (not doing anything) except providing more surface area for the bacteria to live on.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Yeah, you really don't need to "clean" them for a long while. When your filter is acting sluggish give all the parts that collect waste a good swish in your fish water when doing a water change.

you can use this yucky swishy water for setting up a new tank if you ever decided to set up another tank. Doing this basically replaces the cycling process.

clanx

Small Fish
May 16, 2010
does this mean that leaves which get sucked into my filter doesn't need to be cleaned? along with all the yellow deposits i'm seeing.. it's seriously quite an eye sore

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
I actually used de-chlor'ed water to wash my filter media in.

Also, I haven't used carbon for quite a while now. I don't feel it is needed if the water is changed often enough. And I have two 5 gallon buckets full of Virgin Granulated Activated Carbon. (I work at a water treatment plant)

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
I would just pick any big debris out.

The icky stuff is waste and bacteria. The bacteria is important to maintain the nitrogen cycle.

You may need to lay off the fish food if it is getting really bad really quickly. I know the bottles say feed 3-4 times a day. Unless you have really young fish who you are trying to quickly grow I would say 1-2 times a day is more then enough food.

Jun 8, 2010
correct me if I'm wrong? Bacteria grow in the bottom (gravel) as well in Filter and plastic plants we use for decoration and every where in aquarium so if I wash the filter with pressured tap water;s swish, is it bad? because I've been doing it long since. and I have mollies (may be they are a tough fish, if I've been doing it all wrong). for babies I'm keeping them in a clay bowl for which I've been changing water with the water in tank on regular basis, as I've to feed them 4 to 5 times a day so there is lot of mess.

thanks.

Last edited: