Growing plants..

clanx

Small Fish
May 16, 2010
I've brandless fine white sand in my current tank. I don't think they have any nutrients for plants to grow.but do you think it is still possible to grow hairgrass or maybe HC? With maybe dosings of seachem excel?

How well do these plants go with cories? Or maybe I should just stick to mosses tied to driftwood and mesh?

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
all root plants need high nutrients with co2 and big lights to grow, then once they take off, you have to trim . its a cycle.

Stem plants which grow on driftwood etc (like moss or riccia or cabomba etc) do very good in low lights and low nutrients.

So decide , do you want to go high-tech tank or stay low-tech. then decide on plants.

Feb 27, 2009
I've brandless fine white sand in my current tank. I don't think they have any nutrients for plants to grow.but do you think it is still possible to grow hairgrass or maybe HC? With maybe dosings of seachem excel?

How well do these plants go with cories? Or maybe I should just stick to mosses tied to driftwood and mesh?
You can grow hairgrass or HC in sand, but you will need to dose fertilizers in the water column to have them thrive. Excel will provide a carbon source, but plants need other macro and micro nutrients too. The light you have will determine what type of plants you can grow.

What wattage/type of light do you have and what size is this aquarium?

Feb 27, 2009
Not sure what 'ard' is, but if you have flourescent lighting of 4watts per gallon, you will likely need co2 injection and a good fertilization schedule.

You need light, carbon, and other ferts in balance to grow plants :)

clanx

Small Fish
May 16, 2010
oh sorry, ard means around.. and if in that case, does it mean that if i lower my wattage per gal to 2, i won't need ferts? i kinda wanna stay a low tech, avoiding co2 injection..

maybe i should just stick to moss eh?

clanx

Small Fish
May 16, 2010
btw, going off topic for awhile, how useful are snails? i know they can keep algae under control, but they kinda **** alot. i found a few snails in mine which probably game with the plants, however the amount of **** on my sand is increasing. should i take them out?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
If they're pond snails, I would take them out. They breed like crazy and I've had them eat some of my plants before. If you have fish in your tank, they can provide nutrients for your plants. I don't dose any of my tanks and my plants are flourishing (except the cabomba in my Hex5 which Emmett, the male betta in there has decided should be floating, not planted).

Jun 16, 2010

I have always been a fan of just using the mesh. If it aint broke, dont fix it. I usually get all of my extra mesh parts from the same guys in new jersey at...

Belleville Wire Cloth Co., Inc - Woven Wire Mesh | Wire Cloth | Stainless Steel Wire Mesh | Wire Cloth Strainer

The service is great and they most always have what I need, good luck with the sand.

btw, going off topic for awhile, how useful are snails? i know they can keep algae under control, but they kinda **** alot. i found a few snails in mine which probably game with the plants, however the amount of **** on my sand is increasing. should i take them out?
My overall experience with snails:

I have some snails in my tank, pretty sure they're pond type and it ultimately depends. If you are an over-feeder with your fish then don't get pond snails because they will reproduce like crazy and create a mess (possibly). I had overfed my fish awhile back and the snails went crazy in population. Now they're back under control and surprisingly don't eat my plants. That might just be luck of the draw though. They really help my Madagascar Lace Leaf because it needs to not have any algae on it due to the lack of leaf tissue and veins being exposed. If you have sensitive plants I'd suggest having snails, maybe not pond, but definitely something or shrimp or algae eaters.

If you get them and have issues with over population you can always get an assassin snail(s) that takes care of that or a snail eating fish, however I would not recommend a a Clown Loach because they need a very large tank and can get quite big, which means even though they are not aggressive the other fish may be bothered. Although you may empty your tank of the visible snails their eggs are microscopic so you will really have to clean your tank.

Also you can just get nerite snails because in FW they do not breed, in brackish water I believe they do breed though, but they are about 2 or so bucks a pop.

My snails work wonders for me and keep things spick and span, that might be due to how heavily planted my tank is. I don't have any waste issues with them at all. I tossed some of my snails in my 10gal which is not planted and isn't doing much really and they seem to just be a nuisance..but still not very wasteful.

blue_ram

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2008
Florida
If you get them and have issues with over population you can always get an assassin snail(s) that takes care of that or a snail eating fish, however I would not recommend a a Clown Loach because they need a very large tank and can get quite big, which means even though they are not aggressive the other fish may be bothered. Although you may empty your tank of the visible snails their eggs are microscopic so you will really have to clean your tank.
Betta's, Gouramis, Angelfish and Rams will all keep a tank free of snails.

blue_ram

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2008
Florida

If it is pool filter sand, do not use it. If it is play sand, then it is fine.