Where to start? Cycling with a betta, and filter question

Jun 6, 2010
please excuse my ignorance, I have sometimes used ammonia and NO3 interchangeably, I stand correcting myself)

(BTW got it now, NH3=ammonia / NO2=nitrIte / NO3=nitrAte).

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Another question is regarding the filter in my tank. I also understand most of the beneficial bacteria are on the tank walls, gravel, decorations/toys etc., rather than the water...I have also read much of the beneficial bacteria remain in the filter's foam / sponge / whatever, and that changing or cleaning the filter starts the nitrogen cycle all over again. (cannot find the link to where i read this)

This does not make sense given that the same beneficial bacteria resides on the other “media” (?), i.e. walls, gravel, etc. (see quote below re: my confusion)
While bacteria does live on your hard surfaces the majority of your bacteria is in your filter media. So don't change it all the time just rinse it out in your OLD tank water when you do a water change. When you media is starting to get gross like falling apart (and I mean literally falling apart) place a new piece of media in the filter along with the old one (so the new one can build up bacteria and the old media keeps your tank cycled). Wait about two weeks (I think that is long enough....someone correct me if I'm wrong) before taking out the old media.

Hopefully that makes sense!! Follow the above and you won't need an extra filter. Usually people change their filter media way to often because that is what the instructions say (the company wants your money so they tell you to buy new media)!

Jun 6, 2010
While bacteria does live on your hard surfaces the majority of your bacteria is in your filter media. So don't change it all the time just rinse it out in your OLD tank water when you do a water change. When you media is starting to get gross like falling apart (and I mean literally falling apart) place a new piece of media in the filter along with the old one (so the new one can build up bacteria and the old media keeps your tank cycled). Wait about two weeks (I think that is long enough....someone correct me if I'm wrong) before taking out the old media.

Hopefully that makes sense!! Follow the above and you won't need an extra filter. Usually people change their filter media way to often because that is what the instructions say (the company wants your money so they tell you to buy new media)!
Yes, that clears it up a lot, thanks.... so if i can't fit both the old and new filters together, keep the old one in the tank for about 14 days?

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Ummm....not sure what to do if both filter media don't fit in the filter. I would assume that keeping the old media in the tank is better than not.

I'm sure someone with the proper knowledge will chime in before you have to change the media. It takes a long time for filter media to get to the point where it's falling apart.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
If you can fit both filter media into the same slot or whatever, great. If not, and you don't mind that it isn't super aesthetically pleasing, you could just put your new filter media in the tank itself for a couple of weeks and then switch out the old one.
Or, you can take your old filter media out when it is 'done', swish out as much of the nasty goo into a bucket of tank water and let the new and old filter media sit for a short period of time in the goo bucket. You can even rub the old filter media on the new one - the idea is just to transfer the goo (beneficial bacteria) that's on your old filter media to your new one but not let the bacteria dry out or die off. An hour without filter media will be fine for your tank - meanwhile, you new filter is soaking up dirty nasty wonderful stuff.

Feb 27, 2009
You can even rub the old filter media on the new one - the idea is just to transfer the goo (beneficial bacteria) that's on your old filter media to your new one but not let the bacteria dry out or die off. An hour without filter media will be fine for your tank - meanwhile, you new filter is soaking up dirty nasty wonderful stuff.
*wipes a tear from her eye, listening with pride to lauraf's advice*

Jun 6, 2010
an aquaclear 10 is in your budget range too.

The ammonia is higher then desired but you aren't really in killing off the fish range.

Cool it with the feedings, if it's a Betta you can feed pretty infrequently. (like 2 times a week i believe) with out any real issues.
I never found the aqua clear 10 but poking around Hagen's website for the Elite series (just got the Elite 5 and it works beautifully in the tank with the betta)

Anyway, I stand corrected, the maximum flow rate is 100 gph, but the box does not specify this... wish I had known, it can be turned down to about 30 gph and seems to have much better bio matter than the small foam filters in the Elite 5.....live and learn I guess. It is a bit pricey, over double what i paid, but still i think a great buy for the money.

For 5 - 20 U.S. Gal. Aquariums
- Maximum Output: 378 L per hour
- Maximum Output: 100 U.S. gal per hour
- Full Flow Control: 124 L per hour
- Full Flow Control: 33 U.S. gal per hour
- Power Consumption: 6 W
- Maximum Aquarium Capacity: 75 L
- Maximum Aquarium Capacity: 20 U.S. gal
- AquaClear is backed by a lifetime guarantee
- Flow Control: Simply shift the patented "Flow Adjustment Control" at the intake siphon. When the "Flow Adjustment Control" is at its greatest blockage, AquaClear's input and exhaust volumes are approximately a third of its maximum capacity.